32 bit and 64 bit ASP.Net RRS feed

• Question

• I have run into a little problem with ASP.Net

We have a box running 64 bit Windows Server 2003 and 64 bit SQL Server Enterprise Edition. The SQL Server install contained everything: SSRS, SSIS, SSAS, and SQL Server. Everything was running fine until...

Somehow someone installed the 32 bit version of ASP.Net and now Reporting Services is pooched. When I run the System Configuration check I get the following:

32-bit ASP.Net is Registered. Required 64-bit ASP.Net to install Reporting Services.

Now when I go into IIS Manager and go to Web Extensions, I see three versions of ASP.Net:

ASP.Net v1.1.4322
    ASP.Net v2.0.50727
    ASP.Net v2.0.50727 (32 bit)

I've prohibited v1.1.4322 and v2.0.50727, but I'm still unable to get Report Manager to display or the actual reporting website.

I figured I would just uninstall the two version I don't need, but there is no "uninstall" for just the ASP.Net component of the framework.

So I assume I want to uninstall the corresponding .Net Framework - but which one? Again, there are three:

.Net Framework 1.1
    .Net Framework 2.0 Service Pack 1
    .Net Framework 3.0 Service Pack 1

I have NO idea what to uninstall...any insight would be greatly appreciated!!

Thank You!

A. M. Robinson
    Thursday, August 28, 2008 4:50 PM

Answers

• I found this article which might be what you're looking for: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/894435

It describes a command that may fix your 32-bit IIS issue: cscript %SYSTEMDRIVE%\inetpub\adminscripts\adsutil.vbs SET W3SVC/AppPools/Enable32bitAppOnWin64 0

Edit: "Caddre" beat me by mere seconds :)

-Ryan / Kardax
    • Edited by Ryan Lamansky Thursday, August 28, 2008 5:40 PM I type too slow, apparently...
    • Marked as answer by CaddreModerator Thursday, August 28, 2008 6:03 PM
    Thursday, August 28, 2008 5:39 PM
  • Actually that is not valid in IIS6 you can only run it in one mode, so OP needs to choose either run IIS as 32bits or remove IIS and add it again.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/894435

Asp.net MVP, MCPD Web C#, MCITP BI & MCTS SQL Server 2005
    Thursday, August 28, 2008 5:37 PM

All replies

• You don't need to uninstall anything--one of .NET's features is support for multiple installed versions.

I don't have the exact path handy, but I'm fairly sure you'll need to run "aspnet_regiis -i", which is located somewhere under C:\Windows\Microsoft.Net\Framework64 to restore 64-bit ASP.NET.

-Ryan / Kardax
    Thursday, August 28, 2008 5:22 PM
  • I ran the command you listed and got the following error:

The error indicates that IIS is in 32 bit mode, while this application is a 64 b
    it application and thus not compatible.

So now how do I get IIS out of 32 bit mode???

Suffice it to say, I have locked down this particular box...
    A. M. Robinson
    Thursday, August 28, 2008 5:35 PM
  • Actually that is not valid in IIS6 you can only run it in one mode, so OP needs to choose either run IIS as 32bits or remove IIS and add it again.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/894435

Thursday, August 28, 2008 5:37 PM
  • I found this article which might be what you're looking for: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/894435

It describes a command that may fix your 32-bit IIS issue: cscript %SYSTEMDRIVE%\inetpub\adminscripts\adsutil.vbs SET W3SVC/AppPools/Enable32bitAppOnWin64 0

Edit: "Caddre" beat me by mere seconds :)

-Ryan / Kardax
    • Edited by Ryan Lamansky Thursday, August 28, 2008 5:40 PM I type too slow, apparently...
    • Marked as answer by CaddreModerator Thursday, August 28, 2008 6:03 PM
    Thursday, August 28, 2008 5:39 PM
  • This is stuff I know in my sleep I had written the answer before the OP replied you, that is the reason I said your original answer was not valid for IIS 6.

I have used Win2003 Itanium 64bits in alpha build back in 2001 to beta test SQL Server 2000 64bits and I also have MCITP BI & DBA and MCSE going back to IIS4. The complication with IIS 6 are some of the reasons the developer division now own IIS 7 it is now just a component of Windows.

Thursday, August 28, 2008 5:44 PM
  • Worked like a charm...!!

Thanks for all the help!!

A. M. Robinson
    Thursday, August 28, 2008 5:59 PM
  • u need to revert back to 64 bit mode first by saying:

cscript adsutils.vb set w3svc/apppools/enable32bitappon64 "False" under c:\inetpub\adminscripts folder

then run aspnet_iisreg -i

-- himanshu

Friday, November 18, 2011 12:02 PM