none
Office 2007 and 2013 side by side on a 64bit Windows 8 machine? RRS feed

• Question

• I have Windows 8 (64 bit) and Office 2013 installed and running fine on my computer. I recently installed Visual Studio 2010 because I want to develop a document-level project on Excel 2007. However, I need to have Excel 2007 installed.

What's the best way to achieve this? I was reading this article on the MSDN that said 'Hype-V' should help my cause as it allows for multiple instances of incompatible versions of software to be installed - bypassing the new of VMs etc.

I just wanted clarification before I forked out money to buy Office 2007; is it as simple as:

1. Uninstalling 2013
    2. Installing 2007 (32-bit version)
    3. Installing 2013 (32-bit version)

This would let me use 2013 for day-to-day uses, but I can opt to use Excel 2007 when working on my VSTO project in VS2010?

Sunday, June 9, 2013 4:52 AM

Answers

• for using office itself - yes, 2013 click to run approach will work well. But for VSTO development - i do not think so - vstor will work only with latest installed office so you will be back at square one. 

so here are your options:

1. install just office version that you want to develop on

2. use virtual machines

3. use office 2013 but in vsto project simply set up to start external program when debugging and point to your office 2013 app. Of course this way you will still have to have external machine to test it on 2007 installation.

Sunday, June 9, 2013 6:34 AM

All replies

• for using office itself - yes, 2013 click to run approach will work well. But for VSTO development - i do not think so - vstor will work only with latest installed office so you will be back at square one. 

so here are your options:

1. install just office version that you want to develop on

2. use virtual machines

3. use office 2013 but in vsto project simply set up to start external program when debugging and point to your office 2013 app. Of course this way you will still have to have external machine to test it on 2007 installation.

Sunday, June 9, 2013 6:34 AM
  • Thanks Damian, for your reply.

It seems like using Virtual Machines is the best (more like only) way to go! Do you have any recommendations for a VM software to use? I would've love to have used the native Windows Virtual PC but that only supports Windows 7. It seems VirtualBox by Oracle is the next best option.. thoughts?
    Sunday, June 9, 2013 10:30 AM
  • i think there is a vmware player which is free to use for personal operations?
    Monday, June 10, 2013 10:40 AM
  • Hi Chronix

My personal preference is VMWare.

I believe Windows 8 has virtual machine software built in? HyperV?

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP, my blog

Tuesday, June 11, 2013 7:28 PM