none
Supporting multiple versions of Office RRS feed

• Question

• I have an Excel plugin created for Office 2010. I now want it to work for Office 2013, but when I press F5 to run the project it says Office not found. What changes do I need to make in my VSTO project in order for the plugin to support both Excel 2010 and 2013?

- Dmitri Nesteruk, MVP C#, Microsoft Partner

Saturday, October 27, 2012 9:11 AM

Answers

• Going to answer my own question here. The solution turned out to be to simply upgrade the project by getting the latest Office development tools from Web Platform Installer. Once I got those (and they are very unintuitively named, so be careful), opening the VSTO2010 project automatically upgraded it to use my local Office 2013 installation. And yes, Office 2010 works too.

Sunday, November 25, 2012 8:53 AM

All replies

• Hi Dmitri,

Would you please show your detailed scenario for further research?

On my side Office 2010's add-in works fine on Office 2013.

Have a good day,

Tom

Tom Xu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Monday, October 29, 2012 6:31 AM
  • The add-in works fine, there's no problem with that. The problem is with Visual Studio not letting me debug the add-in in Excel 2013. The add-in was, of course, created using the Excel 2010 template.

Also, on a side question, I'd be interested in what happens when you run the ClickOnce installer in different version of Office. For example, if the user has both 2010 and 2013 installed, do they get the add-in available in both instances?

Monday, October 29, 2012 1:55 PM
  • Compiled add-in should work fine on excel 2013. But you mention hitting F5 which suggests debugging project in VS2010 - this is not supported - VS2010 with VSTO extensions will work only with office 2010 installed. If you installed office 2013 on machine with VS 2010 then you could try following:

edit add-in project properties, go to debug tab and choose 'start external program. There enter path to excel 2013. But i;m not sure it will work. try it out yourself.

Monday, October 29, 2012 2:27 PM
  • I'm using VS2012, not VS2010. And anyways this suggestion is not helpful. VSTO projects are 'special', they don't have a Debug target like other apps, they are kind of implicitly executed under the version of Office that the project suggests is necessary. In this case, the issue is that the project needs to be udpated somehow...

Thursday, November 1, 2012 6:34 AM
  • Hi Dmitri

If the original add-in was not compiled with "embed interop types" set to True, then the Add-in is reliant on the Office 2010 PIAs which, of course, aren't used by Office 2013. In that case, once you've opened the add-in VS 2012 you need to remove the references to the 2010 PIAs and create new ones to the 2013 PIAs.

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP, my blog

Thursday, November 1, 2012 10:32 AM
  • Going to answer my own question here. The solution turned out to be to simply upgrade the project by getting the latest Office development tools from Web Platform Installer. Once I got those (and they are very unintuitively named, so be careful), opening the VSTO2010 project automatically upgraded it to use my local Office 2013 installation. And yes, Office 2010 works too.

Sunday, November 25, 2012 8:53 AM