none
Visual Studio 2005 Query Builder RRS feed

• Question

• Good evening, wanted to know if the possibility exists to use the query builder of Visual Studio 2005 the same used for creating the DataSets. Thanks.
    Friday, September 14, 2007 3:17 PM

All replies

• Hi AlberttoDEV,

Do you mean the "Query Builder" during configuring Data Source after dragging&dropping a data source to a Web Form?

If yes, based on my understanding, the operation between "Query Builder" and "Creating a DataSet" using a wizard is similar, but their implementions are different. You can try the following steps for details:

1) Create a typed DataSet using a Data Source wizard, try to check out this article - http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/04y282hb(VS.80).aspx

2)Configure a Data Source:

Drag&Drop a DataSource to a Web Form such as a SqlDataSource ->Configure this DataSource -> choose your Data Connection -> Click "Next" ->Click "Next" ->Specify a custom SQL statement or stored procedure ->Click "Next", and you will get "Query Builder" button.

If I have misunderstood you, please correct me. Thanks.

Regards,

Citizens on the earth

Tuesday, September 18, 2007 3:51 AM
  •  

Indeed I correctly am not me express. I intend to recall and therefore to use the "QueryBuilder" of Visual Studio 2005 inside one application of mine windows form.
    Wednesday, September 19, 2007 3:38 PM
  • Hi AlberttoDev,

As I understand, you would like to use the "QueryBuilder" of Visual Studio 2005 in your windows application.

As far as I know, there are two ways to find a "QueryBuilder" in VS.NET 2005:

1) Just as my last post stated, it is existed in creating a new data source such as SqlDataSource.

2) You can add a new data connection through the server explorer in VS.NET 2005 IDE. After the data connection is finished, you can try to open the connected database and open a query.

Based on my understanding, it seems that the second one is what you need in a windows application. Am I right?

Regards,

Citizens on the earth

Thursday, September 20, 2007 8:31 AM
  • Hi, 
    I would now like an image of the form to send you (this form is the "QueryBuilder" of Visual Studio 2005) that I would like to open inside my applications, hoping that this is able to return me the query of selection, because this is my final result. 

Regards

Thursday, September 20, 2007 1:31 PM
  • Hi AlbertoDEV,

I have received the "Query Builder" screen shot from you and am confused with what you said. Do you want to call the "Query Builder" of the VS.NET 2005 in your application and get the return result recordset from it directly? If so, this is not an easy way to go.

Based on my understanding, you can get the "QueryBuilder" of VS.NET 2005 in your application according to the following steps:

Create a new windows application project -> right mouse click the project and choose "Add"-"New Item..."->Choose "DataSet" -> double click the created DataSet in the soulution explorer to open the DataSet designer -> Drag & Drop a TableAdapter to the DataSet designer ->Choose your data source connection,Click "Next", then you will get the "Query Builder" in VS.NET 2005 IDE.

If you would like to get the return result recordset of the DataSet which was built by the "Query Builder" of VS.NET 2005, you can try to bind the DataSet to a Data control such as DataGridView through a bindingSource.Then you will get the the query of the selection in DataGridView. Am I right?

If I have misunderstood you, please correct me and clarify what you are going to do in your application. Thanks. 

Regards,

Citizens on the earth

Friday, September 21, 2007 2:32 AM
  •  

I think what he is asking is how would one reuse the Microsoft QueryBuilder in there custom application. So if I was to design a custom datasource with a sqlcommand property what would is use as the editorattribute to get the querybuilder to come up when the little ... butoon is clicked in designmode.  Just like what happens when you click ... with the SQLDatasource at design time.   Any one know what desiner to use to get this fuctionality.  I see a System.ComponentModel.Design.Data.QueryBuilderMode enumeration but no System.ComponentModel.Design.Data.QueryBuilderMode is System.Design.

Thanks

Andy

Wednesday, December 5, 2007 8:13 PM