what is the difference between control flow script task & data flow script componenet RRS feed

• Question

• what is the difference between control flow script task & data flow script componenet.
    Friday, February 5, 2010 8:59 AM

Answers

• Are you clear on whats Control flow and Data Flow task?
    Control flor is more to do with data preparation and maging the process.
    DFT is the place where we do most of the ETL activities.

In Script Component(in DFT) we deal with data records and it is processed for each record that comes from the source, or while transform or destination.
    We use Script component if the data format is not compatible with the existing connection managers provided or for complex data manipulations.

Where as Script task is used to prepare the data or the environment or any thing that enhances the process.
    (All that can be done in SSIS can be done in one Script task but that does not solve our purpose.)
    Let us know if you have any specific question.

Hope this helps !!
    Sudeep   |    My Blog
    Friday, February 5, 2010 9:09 AM
  • Hi,

That two components have different purposes.

The following description comes from MSDN.

The Script task, available in the Control Flow window of the Integration Services designer, and the Script component, available in the Data Flow window, have very different purposes in an Integration Services package. The task is a general-purpose control flow tool, whereas the component serves as a source, transformation, or destination in the data flow. Despite their different purposes, however, the Script task and the Script component have some similarities in the coding tools that they use and the objects in the package that they make available to the developer. Understanding their similarities and differences may help you to use both the task and the component more effectively.

For more information about "Comparing the Script Task and the Script Component", please refer to

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms136031.aspx

Please feel free to let me know if I’ve misunderstood anything.
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Tuesday, February 9, 2010 5:58 AM

All replies

• Are you clear on whats Control flow and Data Flow task?
    Control flor is more to do with data preparation and maging the process.
    DFT is the place where we do most of the ETL activities.

In Script Component(in DFT) we deal with data records and it is processed for each record that comes from the source, or while transform or destination.
    We use Script component if the data format is not compatible with the existing connection managers provided or for complex data manipulations.

Where as Script task is used to prepare the data or the environment or any thing that enhances the process.
    (All that can be done in SSIS can be done in one Script task but that does not solve our purpose.)
    Let us know if you have any specific question.

Hope this helps !!
    Sudeep   |    My Blog
    Friday, February 5, 2010 9:09 AM
  • what is the difference between control flow script task & data flow script componenet.

One of them is in the Control Flow, one of them is in the Dataflow and they both function appropriate to those environments.

The APIs within them do differ (understandably so given that they have different reasons for being).

http://sqlblog.com/blogs/jamie_thomson/ | @jamiet | About me
    Friday, February 5, 2010 9:12 AM
  • Hi,

That two components have different purposes.

The following description comes from MSDN.

The Script task, available in the Control Flow window of the Integration Services designer, and the Script component, available in the Data Flow window, have very different purposes in an Integration Services package. The task is a general-purpose control flow tool, whereas the component serves as a source, transformation, or destination in the data flow. Despite their different purposes, however, the Script task and the Script component have some similarities in the coding tools that they use and the objects in the package that they make available to the developer. Understanding their similarities and differences may help you to use both the task and the component more effectively.

For more information about "Comparing the Script Task and the Script Component", please refer to

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms136031.aspx

Please feel free to let me know if I’ve misunderstood anything.
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Tuesday, February 9, 2010 5:58 AM