an item with the same key has already been added RRS feed

• Question

• Using MOSS 2007 with Aug 2009 cumulative.

I have a site collection with publishing turned on.  When I go to the site settings page and click 'Content and Structure' under Site Administration, I get the lovely error page with the single message 'an item with the same key has already been added.

The users have access to SP Designer.  Where should I look for modifications?

Thanks.
    GregM

Wednesday, February 17, 2010 12:30 PM

Answers

• I'm not sure why you're getting the message under Content and Structure, but it's an error I've seen before with publishing approval when users upload documents to a doc lib.  Because the content has to be approved, they don't see it in the library and then attempt to upload it again, but its already there and the error is thrown.  It is particularly problematic when the doc lib has REQUIRED metadata values and multiple files are being uploaded at the same time because SharePoint will not prompt for metadata on multi file uploads.  Hope that gives you something to go on...
    I trust that answers your question...

Thanks
    C

http://www.cjvandyk.com/blog
    Thursday, February 18, 2010 6:16 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi GregM,

I would suggest you set the logging level to Verbose and check the ULS logs for more detailed information about this error.

Lu Zou
    Friday, February 19, 2010 3:07 AM

All replies

• I'm not sure why you're getting the message under Content and Structure, but it's an error I've seen before with publishing approval when users upload documents to a doc lib.  Because the content has to be approved, they don't see it in the library and then attempt to upload it again, but its already there and the error is thrown.  It is particularly problematic when the doc lib has REQUIRED metadata values and multiple files are being uploaded at the same time because SharePoint will not prompt for metadata on multi file uploads.  Hope that gives you something to go on...
    I trust that answers your question...

Thanks
    C

http://www.cjvandyk.com/blog
    Thursday, February 18, 2010 6:16 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi GregM,

I would suggest you set the logging level to Verbose and check the ULS logs for more detailed information about this error.

Lu Zou
    Friday, February 19, 2010 3:07 AM
  • The page url is .../_Layouts/sitemanager.aspx?Source=/_layouts/settings.aspx and as I understand it, not subject to publishing.  If it is, could you tell me where to approve it?
    Tuesday, February 23, 2010 12:53 PM
  • I set our load balancer to only use one server, set logging to verbose, and selected the page to get the error.  I then reviewed the log from 1 minute before to 1 minute after (lots of stuff!).

I could only find one error. It was in the specific site collection.  It was
      'While initializing navigation, found Area placeholder but object was not found at: ..../site1/site2/site3/site4'

When I would go to the link, the page displayed successfully and there were no errors messages.

What should I be looking for?
    Tuesday, February 23, 2010 12:57 PM
  • Guys,

I am facing the exact error. When I navigate to Content and Structure link on my site collection on MOSS 2007 i get an error page with message "An item with the same key has already been added. "

Please Help!!!

Naveed.DG SharePoint Administrator "Vote As Helpful" If it helps!!

Thursday, August 16, 2012 6:52 AM
  • Hi,

checkin all the pages under pages document library.This error may be caused if any webpart pages created under pages lib has errors.

Thursday, August 30, 2012 7:29 AM