none
Populate and searchable RRS feed

• Question

• Forgive my ignorance. This is my first attempt at building a website.

reny.net (real estate new york) has a bing map in their search that when you utilize the shape tools it will populate zip codes into the search field. I need this for my site since the user will be inputting a bunch of information and I want to use the map to show areas that they work in. Then I want this information to be searchable by others in an index that will be on my site. Is this possible?

Sunday, March 1, 2015 2:33 AM

Answers

• I don't see what you describe. All of their search forms are just forms. They do have a map for search results. Is this what you want to do? If so this is pretty easy to do. The first step is to get your data somewhere where you can query it. A good starting place is the Bing Spatial Data Services where you can upload a file of locations and it exposes it as a spatial REST service. You can then easily search for locations against this service and then display them on a map, or in a list. Alternatively you can look at creating a database solution with a custom web service but that would be a lot more work and isn't a very good place to start if you are new to web development.

I have written a complete step by step guide for creating a store locator which is similar to what you are looking to build. We haven't uploaded this to our documentation yet, but if you email me at ricky_brundritt at Hotmail.com I'll email you a copy.

http://rbrundritt.wordpress.com

Monday, March 2, 2015 5:39 PM