none
AMS V3 : Captioning the Video

Question

• Hello,

Adding Subtitles and Captions in Azure Media Services v3 seems to be now available as explained in this link.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/media-services/latest/media-services-overview

Where can I find the related sample code/APIs to get this done?

Sunday, January 13, 2019 2:49 AM

All replies

• Thanks for contacting us. The statement on captions and subtitles should have read as follows:

• Use Azure Media Services together with Azure Cognitive Services APIs to add subtitles and captions to videos to cater to a broader audience (for example, people with hearing disabilities or people who want to read along in a different language).

Which means that:

1. You would use the Audio Analyzer to perform speech-to-text conversion, and generate captions in the spoken language
    2. You could then use Translation APIs to convert the above to subtitles in other languages

Hope this helps

Wednesday, January 16, 2019 5:16 AM
  • By doing "1" & "2", I will have a transcript file of the speech, but I still won't have a Video with subtitles, right?

Is there any step "3" thats needed to add subtitles in the video?

Or, is that not yet possible in v3?

Wednesday, January 16, 2019 2:04 PM
  • Good point. Your steps 3, 4, etc. would be:

3. Encode the original video with a suitable Transform (see this article), but pause before the "Get a Streaming Locator" step

4. Copy the VTT, TTML files etc. to the same output Asset as the output of the encoding Job above

5. Now get a streaming locator

6. See these examples of how the player can then be updated to play back the captions/subtitles

Thursday, January 17, 2019 4:57 PM