none
HPC Pack 2016: "Identity check failed for outgoing message" Error RRS feed

• Question

• Hello MSDN community, I am encountering the following errors when I try to add a node to my local computer cluster using Microsoft HPC Pack 2016:

• Could not contact node 'NODE-A08' to perform change. Identity check failed for outgoing message. The expected DNS identity of the remote endpoint was 'HEAD-NODE01' but the remote endpoint provided DNS claim 'NODE-A08'. If this is a legitimate remote endpoint, you can fix the problem by explicitly specifying DNS identity 'NODE-A08' as the Identity property of EndpointAddress when creating channel proxy.
    • Could not contact node 'NODE-A08' to perform change. The management service was unable to connect to the node using any of the IP addresses resolved for the node.

Through my research in to the issue I have found "Identity check failed for outgoing message..." to be a well documented error related to Windows Communication Foundation (WCF). My understanding is that it occurs when the common name (CN) of the endpoint computer's certificate does not match its DNS identity.

The solutions that I found where lines of code for people writing their own programs, however those solutions do not apply to HPC Pack because I cannot access its source code directly.

Some additional information specific to my situation:

• the certificates used by both the head node and the node were issued individually by a trusted domain
    • all computers are connect to one enterprise network
    • the head node's PC name is 'HEAD-NODE01'
    • the node's PC name is 'NODE-A08'
    • these errors occur during the provisioning stage of adding a node
    • the errors are displayed in the provisioning log within HPC Pack 2016's user interface
    • I was successful in pinging each computer from the other
    • both computers display the proper DNS IP address when I use command prompt
    • the head node is running Windows Server 2012 R2
    • the node is preconfigured to be a workstation node and is running Windows 10 Enterprise

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have looked for a few days and in a lot of places for an answer, but I have not been very successful. Thank you very much in advance!

Wednesday, May 17, 2017 2:56 PM

All replies

• Hi Hunter02,

Thanks for your post.

Based on your description, it seems it is related with HPC Pack 2016 product, this forum is used to discuss about WCF developing issue, you did not develop anything, I would suggest you go to forum below for help.

Reference:https://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?category=windowshpc

Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards,

Edward

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, May 18, 2017 5:24 AM