use infopath form for request and appoval RRS feed

• Question

• hi,

i have created an infopath form. when the user submit this request form to the specific approver a mail will be sent to the specific approver.

now i want that when the approver open this form, the fields that the user had filled must be read only and the approver section must not be read only. the appover must be able to approve the form and submit the same form to the hr.

the approver section has a dataview list where the approver can choose if the request is approved or rejected.

i know i can use a workflow, but if i use a workflow can the workflow send the request to the specific approver of each user?

cause in my form when the user open the form there is a field that is filled with the specific approver of the user. and when the user click on the submit button the form will be send by mail to the specific approver.

Sunday, September 26, 2010 3:51 AM

Answers

• You have to define the approver combinations somewhere - in a list, in AD, or in a database - and then dynamically route emails in the workflow by using variables.
    SharePoint Architect || Microsoft MVP || My Blog
    Planet Technologies || SharePoint Task Force
    • Marked as answer by jenfifi Monday, October 4, 2010 3:32 PM
    Monday, September 27, 2010 2:13 PM

All replies

• Jen, my preference is not to "send" the form to people via email.  I think it's best to submit the form to the form library, and a workflow should send a notification to the next person with a link to the form.  That way, the form stays in one place, does not get duplicated, and it does not clutter up your mail server.

All you need to do for the things you listed is to use conditional formatting to show/hide controls (individual boxes or sections or both) OR you can use Form Load rules to switch views based on the current user.  I have several blog posts showing how to do this.

I do not know what a "dataview list" is, so I'm not sure what you were referring to.  I recommend using buttons for approve and reject and not a "dataview list."  I have this on my blog as well.

Monday, September 27, 2010 3:57 AM
  • Hi Clayton, thnx for your reply.

using worlflow to send the form, is it posible to send it to the specific approver? that it's what i need to do. if form 1 from user A has to go to approver 1. approver 2 can not get form 1 from user A. using the workflow i can see that you can send a form to an approver by choosing his name. but i have several approver and each approver has his own users.

i'm using a library that has all the approved forms and from that library i have a workflow that send the forms by mail to the HR. but with the HR it does not matter who get the form.

sorry, "dataview list" i used wrong word i mean drop-down list.

Monday, September 27, 2010 1:07 PM
  • You have to define the approver combinations somewhere - in a list, in AD, or in a database - and then dynamically route emails in the workflow by using variables.
    • Marked as answer by jenfifi Monday, October 4, 2010 3:32 PM
    Monday, September 27, 2010 2:13 PM
  • ok thnx, i'm going to try that
    Monday, September 27, 2010 3:13 PM
  • Hi, clayton it's me again.

where can i find the approve and reject buttons tutorial on your blog? i'm looking for it, but cant find it

thnx

Monday, September 27, 2010 8:50 PM
  • I haven't written a tutorial for that.  I just have vids and slides showing it in action with some explanation.
    Tuesday, September 28, 2010 3:11 AM