none
"Register Assembly" missing from project context menu

Question

• I created a new USQL project in a new solution using the USQL Class Library template and used .NET version 4.5, but when I right-click the project, I don't see the "Register Assembly" menu option.

I have an existing project and it shows up fine there. I've diffed the csproj files and they target the same .NET version and the same project GUIDs, reference the same Data Lake NuGet packages, so I can't figure out why one has "Register Assembly" and the other does not. I've also restart all instance of VS to no avail. 

I'm using Azure SDK 2.9.6 and VS 2015 Update 3.

Ideas?

Wednesday, December 7, 2016 6:50 PM

Answers

• The path from the cloud explorer is definitely a valid way to access the registration feature at all times. In fact of you are registering an assembly from a project that does not use the USQL class library template we will not show the context menu item for registering the library (in order to avoid polluting the menus for projects not intended for USQL). Buy in your case the menu item should appear and this sounds like a possible bug in our ADL plug-in. If you can share a copy of the project with us we can try to debug the situation.
    Friday, December 9, 2016 5:29 AM
  • I sent the solution to MS which revealed the issue. The "Register Assembly" option will only appear on one project for a solution. They are looking into it.
    Friday, December 16, 2016 4:46 PM

All replies

• I don't have the option to Register Assembly on a project, maybe that's a remnant from a previous version of the tools.

The way I do it is in the Cloud Explorer view: (Local) -> Data Lake Analytics -> (Local) -> Databases -> master -> right-click on "Assemblies" -> Register Assembly.

(or point to your Azure Data Lake Analytics account instead of (Local))

You can also register an assembly through the Azure Portal.

Wednesday, December 7, 2016 7:57 PM
  • Yea, that works, but it's a much lengthier set of steps. The weird thing is that both projects can be in the same solution and one has the menu item and the other does not.
    Wednesday, December 7, 2016 8:31 PM
  • The path from the cloud explorer is definitely a valid way to access the registration feature at all times. In fact of you are registering an assembly from a project that does not use the USQL class library template we will not show the context menu item for registering the library (in order to avoid polluting the menus for projects not intended for USQL). Buy in your case the menu item should appear and this sounds like a possible bug in our ADL plug-in. If you can share a copy of the project with us we can try to debug the situation.
    Friday, December 9, 2016 5:29 AM
  • Did you send the solution to us yet? Just checking since that is definitively sounding like a bug.

Michael Rys

Wednesday, December 14, 2016 8:52 AM
  • I sent the solution to MS which revealed the issue. The "Register Assembly" option will only appear on one project for a solution. They are looking into it.
    Friday, December 16, 2016 4:46 PM