[Desktop Converter]DesktopAppConverter fails to run. RRS feed

• Question

• I downloaded the desktop app converter from the windows store, installed it, and tried to run it (right click on the icon, select "Run as Administrator")  The admin window comes up with the following:

Program 'DesktopAppConverter.exe' failed to run: The specified executable is not a valid application for this OS

platform.At line:1 char:1
    + &'DesktopAppConverter.exe' --usage
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~.
    At line:1 char:1
    + &'DesktopAppConverter.exe' --usage
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : ResourceUnavailable: (:) [], ApplicationFailedException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : NativeCommandFailed

I am running a 64-bit Windows 10 Pro, x64 based processor, 64-bit operating system.  The build version is 1607, OS build 14393.222. My understanding is that this meets the minimum operating system requirements (Windows 10 Anniversary Update (10.0.14393.0 and later) Pro or Enterprise edition) listed at https://msdn.microsoft.com/windows/uwp/porting/desktop-to-uwp-run-desktop-app-converter?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Is this correct, and do I need to do anything else to get the DesktopConverter to run? 

Thanks,

Gene

• Edited by Barry Wang Tuesday, October 18, 2016 12:37 AM title tag
    Wednesday, October 5, 2016 5:49 PM

All replies

• Hi Gene,

As far as I know, you should also make sure that Hyper-V is enabled and  Windows 10 SDK is installed. If the issue still exists after that, please let me know.

Best Regards,
    David

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place. Click HERE to participate the survey.

Thursday, October 6, 2016 2:11 PM
  • Thanks for the response, David.

Hyper-V was enabled and the Windows 10 SDK was installed (listed on Programs and Features as "Windows Software Development Kit - Windows 10.0.14393.33". Versions 10.0.10586.212 and 10.0.25524 are also installed).  The issue, unfortunately, still exists.

Thursday, October 6, 2016 2:39 PM

• Hi Gene,

Would you like to try the zip version of DesktopAppConverter to see whether you could use it or not on your machine? 

Best Regards,
    David

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place. Click HERE to participate the survey.

Thursday, October 6, 2016 3:11 PM
  • Sure.  How can I get the .zip file?
    Thursday, October 6, 2016 3:38 PM

• Hi Gene,

You could click the Download button in this link and select the zip file.

Best Regards,
    David

Thursday, October 6, 2016 4:17 PM
  • I downloaded the .zip file.  Per the instructions:

1. I Downloaded the .zip file and unzipped it to the C drive
    2. I ran "CMD PS C:\> Set-ExecutionPolicy bypass" from an admin powershell window.  The app returned without error.
    3. I ran "CMD PS C:\> .\DesktopAppConverter.ps1 -Setup -BaseImage .\BaseImage-14393.wim -Verbose" from the admin powershell window.  An error message "access denied" was shown. 
    4. So, I closed down the powershell window, reopened it and ran the above line again.  It returned without any messages, leading me to believe it did not run. 
    5. I tried to run this command:  "CMD PS C:\>DesktopAppConverter.ps1 -Installer N:\csharp\WindowsForms\CFRootFinder\CFRootFinder\bin\Release\CFRootfinder.exe -InstallerArguments "/S" -Destination C:\cfsw\Test\Desktopconv -PackageName "CFRootfinder" -Publisher "CN=<publisher_name>" -Version 0.0.0.1 -MakeAppx -Verbose
    No messages were shown, and nothing happened. The taskmanager indicates that it did run for a while and returned, but no messages were shown and no files generated.

I tried to shutdown powershell between commands, and it still did not work. I also tried rebooting at odd intervals, as well as 
    running DesktopAppConverter.exe instead of DesktopAppConverter.psi.  None of this worked.  

Friday, October 7, 2016 6:31 PM
  • Hi,

I have same problem. DesktopAppConverter.exe was Works. I run "CMD PS C:\> Set-ExecutionPolicy bypass" on admin console win, it worked. then i run "CMD PS C:\> DesktopAppConverter.exe -Setup -BaseImage .\BaseImage-14393.wim -Verbose" but but no message showned and notting happened.

so i tried zip. it happened and when i run DesktopAppConverter.exe i have message which is "Program 'DesktopAppConverter.exe' failed to run:".

Is there any way to undo i did?

Sunday, October 9, 2016 8:47 PM
  • I did some investigating; these events appeared in the event log when I tried to run the Desktopconverter as Admin:

1.  The program or feature "\??\C:\WINDOWS\system32\DesktopAppConverter.exe" cannot start or run due to incompatibity with 64-bit versions of Windows. Please contact the software vendor to ask if a 64-bit Windows compatible version is available.

2. The program or feature "\??\C:\WINDOWS\system32\DESKTO~1.EXE" cannot start or run due to incompatibity with 64-bit versions of Windows. Please contact the software vendor to ask if a 64-bit Windows compatible version is available.

Any further thoughts?

• Edited by Gene Cole Wednesday, October 19, 2016 3:59 PM
    Wednesday, October 19, 2016 3:51 PM