RDP Session Needed for Automation? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Everyone,

I am having some problems setting up Automated Tests in MTM. We have the environments correctly set up and the test agent's are set to automatically log in. But whenever I run a test remotely without a RDP session open, I get an error saying :

Automation engine is unable to playback the test because it is not able to interact with the desktop.  This could happen if the computer running the test is locked or it’s remote session window is minimized.

I have searched the forums and everyone seems to agree that RDP session is needed to run the tests. I find this very annoying and inconvenient, especially when working with multiple testers in a team. Sometimes we need to remote into the agent to make sure everything is set up correctly for the tests to run but when we log out of the RDP session, the computer locks. 

Thursday, October 24, 2013 3:23 PM

Answers

• Hi lando,

Thanks for your post!

As far as I know, we should keep the desktop session active during do tests that should interact with the desktop.

There are some ways that can keep the session active. (In my opinion, the first way is the best)

1. Connecting to the environment machine using the Microsoft Environment Viewer. (Right click the lab environment=>Select Connect=>Log on) After that you can close the Environment Viewer. MTM will keep the desktop session, we can check the desktop session state in the Lab Center. (select a lab environment, the screen short will show in the right panel)
    2. Using the Hyper-V or SCVMM Manager Console to log on the environment machine. (If you are using the SCVMM lab environment)
    3. Using the Remote Desktop Connecting directly to connect to the machine. Make sure, the window should not be minimized.

Thanks

Best Regards

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, October 25, 2013 9:33 AM