Corrupt Recycle Bin Popup Warning

Question

• I am currently running Windows 7 on a physical hard drive and Windows 8 on another, using my system BIOS to choose which to boot...so not really a Dual Boot setup...When I am in W7 or W8, I see the other drive(s) in Explorer.

At first (past few weeks), all was well...yesterday, upon starting up W7 and logging in, I received this:

Note: F:\ is the Windows 8 System Reserved Drive:

I can empty it (or not) and each time I log in OR delete a file or click on a drive in Explorer (again, and only when running W7), I get the same prompt...

This does not seem to have an effect on anything that I can tell other than the annoying popup...

Should I seek out a method/hack to prevent W7 from creating a recycle bin or looking at/for it on this drive?

Any thoughts or advice, suggestions, workaround?

Wednesday, October 05, 2011 10:25 AM

Answers

• I believe I have found a solution or workaround:

I opened Disk Management in Windows 7 and removed the drive letter mapping that had been assigned to this W8 system reserved drive.

I guess the fix is for W7 to recognize what this drive is before automatically assigning a drive letter?

Again, Thanks Eric.

Swan
    • Marked as answer by Swan_NH Wednesday, October 05, 2011 7:12 PM
    Wednesday, October 05, 2011 7:12 PM

All replies

• Swan_NH,

In Windows 7, Right click on Recycle Bin icon and click on Properties.  If your F Drive is in there, select it and then select "Don't move files to the Recycle Bin.  Remove files immediately when deleted."  That might stop Recycle Bin giving you error message on F Drive.

Wednesday, October 05, 2011 3:28 PM
    Answerer
  • Eric - Thanks for the reply.

I did as suggested...Each time I exit the Recycle Bin Dialogue Box, I get the same popup as above, even when the Radio Button is selected to not move files to this Drive and also when 'Display delete confirmation dialogue' is unchecked.

Any further thoughts?

Swan
    Wednesday, October 05, 2011 4:51 PM
  • Sawn,

Do you have anything inside of Recycle Bin in Windows Developer Preivew?

Wednesday, October 05, 2011 5:39 PM
    Answerer
  • Thank you again for your response, Eric.

I am currently writing from the Windows 8 Developer Preview.

As noted above, F:\ is the Windows 8 System Reserved Drive.

In W8, this drive does not show in Explorer even when hidden items are shown.

I do not see this drive in Explorer or Recycle Bin.

(C: = W8, D:,F: = W7, H: = Ext. USB Drive.)

See additional response below for screenshots of System Reserved Drive from Console Snap In Disk Management (Local).

Swan
    Wednesday, October 05, 2011 6:57 PM
  • (Max # of images is 2, so here are two more):

Swan
    Wednesday, October 05, 2011 6:59 PM
  • I believe I have found a solution or workaround:

I opened Disk Management in Windows 7 and removed the drive letter mapping that had been assigned to this W8 system reserved drive.

I guess the fix is for W7 to recognize what this drive is before automatically assigning a drive letter?

Again, Thanks Eric.

Swan
    • Marked as answer by Swan_NH Wednesday, October 05, 2011 7:12 PM
    Wednesday, October 05, 2011 7:12 PM
  • No Problem Swan.  I was about to ask you to remove the drive letter of System Reserved partition but you beat me to it.  Glad that fixed the issue.
    Wednesday, October 05, 2011 7:20 PM
    Answerer
  • Once I saw that W8 had not applied a Drive letter, I figured W7 should not either!
    Swan
    Wednesday, October 05, 2011 11:21 PM