none
Mail Merge Date Format - Date in merged document doesn't match date specified in Data Source RRS feed

• Question

• Hi guys,

I’m hoping someone can put me out of my misery…I’ve been working on this task for the last 2.5 hrs, trying to streamline our communication process with new trial and subscription customers.

I’ve created a mail merge document in Word 2010 with my data source in Excel 2010.  Here’s the problem:

The date field in the data source is a specific date, although when I insert that field into my Word doc and complete the merge, the date displays as TODAY, rather than the specified source date.  For example, the date in my data source is April 12, 2011.  The data that is merged into my document is today's date, April 8, 2011.  What should show in the merged doc is April 12, 2011.

I’ve added a picture switch to the field ({MERGEFIELD date \@ "MMMM d, yyyy"}) to get the correct date format, but that doesn’t help me with the actual date being displayed.

Can anyone help?  I’m finding the 2010 version of Word isn’t very user friendly.  I've been using Word and creating merge documents for years, but this was  a real challenge.

Thanks!

Karen

Friday, April 8, 2011 8:04 PM

Answers

• Hi Karen,

The mergefield's name needs to be the same as the firresponding field name in the Excel workbook. If that's 'Date', then your mergefield should work correctly.

I'd recommend against using 'Date' as the Excel workbook's field name, though, as this may cause confusion with Word's DATE field (which is what generates today's date).

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]
    Friday, April 8, 2011 8:51 PM