none
Need to know approach for managing data in List RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have requirement to store data in List. There are 40 different type forms . Each form has approximately 50% similar fields. There would an approval workflow also on list which will go through multiple stages. What would be the best approach to go about it. Firstly Is it better to create content types and create generic content type form. I dont know how many max contenttypes  we can add to a List.  Other approach could be creating custom form and everything with custom code . Kindly let me know the best approach . 

Monday, April 10, 2017 1:18 PM

All replies

• Hi Ishaque,

You are approaching good practice by creating content type. Create site column and reuse these column across different list. Please be very cautious while deleting these. Below url explain about max content types you can into list.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc262787%28v=office.14%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396#ListLibrary

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/21a2afff-721b-4bf7-9e94-c0aead3c4cae/max-number-of-content-types-per-listlibrary?forum=sharepointgeneralprevious

Custom form is rather easy to manage going forward.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks

Lalith

----------------------------------------

Please mark as Answer, if this post solves your issue.

Monday, April 10, 2017 3:50 PM
  • Hi 

When you mention content type form, is it an InfoPath form or document template, e.g. Word?

Try creating a base content type which have common fields across the 40 different type and subsequently create the rest of the content types using the base content type as parent.

There does not seem to be a limit on number of content types you can have

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc262787(v=office.15).aspx

However from a management perspective, it might be advisable to keep the number low.

Cheers

Reshmee

Monday, April 10, 2017 3:53 PM
  • The content type approach is very good and easily manageable in terms of re-usability. I think there is no limit defined for ContentType numbers, check https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc262787(v=office.14).aspx#ListLibrary fore more details.

Thanks, Amit Kumar, LinkedIn Profile ** My Blog
    Please click "Mark As Answer" if this post solves your problem or "Vote As Helpful" if it was useful

Tuesday, April 11, 2017 6:33 AM
  • Thank You Kiran,

I checked the article there is no limit of content type has been mentioned.however I am planning to create custom forms with custom code in csom for save . Kindly let me know is it a right approach?

Tuesday, April 11, 2017 9:13 AM
  • Hello Reshmee,

I am planning to create default list item form where the field on form will display as per the content type ID in query string. In this particular method I added a button on this form called "Save as Draft". I dont know why this button is getting fired twice and 2 records are getting saved in this. The other thing is that using this approach I have to write custom code for Form Security i.e hiding of fields as per user,Validations etc. So I am thinking of creating custom form and rewriting custom code for Save,Form Security and Validation using CSOM. Kindly let me know whether it is right approach to go about it. Your suggestions will be highly appreciated and helpful.

Tuesday, April 11, 2017 9:21 AM
  • If you are creating custom form, mapped with one list, it's better to directly utilize the InfoPath form, it will save your time, but if you are creating application where look and feel required with custom css then you can go with Custom Form Implementation.

Thanks, Amit Kumar, LinkedIn Profile ** My Blog
    Please click "Mark As Answer" if this post solves your problem or "Vote As Helpful" if it was useful

Tuesday, April 11, 2017 9:24 AM