All of you who want Microsoft to relaunch Expression Web, enter here and "express" it :-) RRS feed

• Question

• The last release of Expression Web is from 2010 and it has been discontinued. I have tried Dreamweaver and it's very bad compared with Expression. Also, I have tried Visual Studio and is too complex for a simple website design. I have tried another WYSIWYG web composers and they are too poor.

I am sure that I am not the only who thinks that Expression Web has to come back again. I want the WYSIWYG back, I want a normal (not ASP.NET) site back, I want to paste with <pre> option back, I want to open an old website as a Expression Web site back, I want.... to create only-client websites again as if I were using Word.

If you think like me, enter here and "express" these thoughts to Microsoft.

Regards
    comrlr

Monday, September 15, 2014 11:58 AM

All replies

• What??? " I want.... to create only-client websites again as if I were using Word."

That is NOT Expression Web. Expression Web is a professional-level website design tool. You cannout use it as a drag-and-drop WYSIWYG website creator (especially if you are charging clients).

Besides, EW now free. What could you possibly need it to do that you can't do already?

I use Office 2007; that doesn't keep me from creating advanced documents or spreadsheets.

A horse walks into a bar. The bartender asks "Why the long face?" "Because I was born into servitude and when I die my hooves will be used to make glue." It was at this point that the bartender realized he would not be getting a tip.

Monday, September 15, 2014 12:46 PM
  • But you want Expression Web to come back (with Microsoft's maintenance, improving and updating) or not?

Regards

Monday, September 15, 2014 12:53 PM
  • Why? What does it lack in its present form? EW is already far, far more advanced than anything you list as wanting. It's far more advanced than what it seems your skill level is.

EW was never a WYSIWYG drag-and-drop program, and never will be; it's more advanced than that. You seem to be asking for MS to develop a program like the WYSIWYG programs that you think are "too poor". There's no reason for that.

I don't know what your problem is with <pre>. EW4 has the same paste options as previous versions--pasting one or many <pre> paragraphs. If you have a problem, its with the doctype you're using, and that's not an EW problem--it's a web standards conflict.

If you can't open an old website in EW, then you are either 1.) doing it wrong or 2.) that old website is so non-standard and/or corrupted that it needs to be redone. I have never had a problem opening an old website in EW. If it was created in Word, Publisher, some cruddy drag-and-drop program, (or FrontPage, in some cases) then it's nonstandard and doesn't work all browsers properly. It needs to be rebuilt from the ground up.

EW will never be what you describe, even if it comes back. It's not a new version of FrontPage (which probably created the garbage websites that you can't open). The features you describe are for the very rankest amateurs, not professionals--which is EW's target audience.

EW has always required that the user have a knowledge of at least HTML and CSS basics, because the modern web relies on their proper implementation. It's not 1995 any more; you can't throw up nonstandard doo-doo and expect it to work in all browsers and on all platforms (including Android and iOS). Gone are the days when there was only one browser that ruled the roost (IE); that's what killed FrontPage. And if you are charging a fee to clients, they have a right to expect the product you deliver to meet modern web standards and work consistently and predictably in all browsers on all platforms and at all user settings. That' why you have to preview in all browsers and test with text-only set to various zooms (not zooming the whole page, just text).

It sounds as though you want something new just for the sake of being new. From your wish list, EW is already more than you can handle.

A horse walks into a bar. The bartender asks "Why the long face?" "Because I was born into servitude and when I die my hooves will be used to make glue." It was at this point that the bartender realized he would not be getting a tip.

Monday, September 15, 2014 2:07 PM
  • While I would certainly like Microsoft to keep supporting EW, and issue new releases as needed, bluntly put, the existing EW4 is NOT outdated or short of features. It can do what is needed.  And it's free, now.

Why not continue using EW4?   It is not, by the way, and never was, WYSIWYG, or like using Word.  Design View is a reasonable approximation for some pages - not at all for others, depending on what dynamic features or CSS are on them - and never a substitute for previewing in all browsers to see if you are using something that renders differently in different browsers.

By the way, posting a request to bring back EW development in this forum will likely have no effect whatsoever.  It's not an input mechanism to MS future development.  If they've decided general web design is not their interest, nothing a few, or a dozen, or hundreds of EW users can say will change that.

Monday, September 15, 2014 5:19 PM
  • I think I am not well understood. I am saying that Expression Web is good enough for Microsoft to continue with the support. I prefer quasi-WYSIWYG than editing code by hand. But there are still some bugs, for instance, I save a file and when I open it again, some texts appear repeated twice.

Regards
    comrlr

• Edited by comrlr Monday, September 15, 2014 8:11 PM
    Monday, September 15, 2014 8:10 PM
  • Believe me, you will find few more ardent supporters of EW than you find here. Unfortunately, Microsoft has determined that they no longer intend to develop the Expression family of products, and while we would certainly wish otherwise, nothing that we say here will change that decision. This is entirely a user to user forum these days, and AFAIK there are not even any MS moderators monitoring the forum anymore (if there are, they are remarkably silent).

In the meantime, EW4 has thoroughgoing support for both HTML5 and CSS3, and at the glacial pace of changes to those standards it is likely that EW4 will be a viable development platform for years to come. I have every version of Dreamweaver from CS3 through CS6, and I still use EW4 because it is simply easier to use and more flexible, powerful, and productive. When that stops being true, or when the standards advance, leaving EW4 behind, then I will contemplate moving forward from EW4. Meanwhile, I am quite content with EW4.  ;-)

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.

Monday, September 15, 2014 8:57 PM
  • Thanks.

P.S.: waaaaaahhhh waaaaahhh, boooohoooooo, sob, sniff...

Monday, September 15, 2014 9:09 PM
  • That's not a "bug" in EW. If it were a bug, everyone would have noticed it. I don't remember anyone ever mentioning it in the 6+ years I've been participating in this--the only MS-hosted EW forum.

You have a problem that is unique to your computer, which means (since no one else reports this) that the "bug" is not in EW, it's possibly in the dotNET Framework, or simply user error. We've never seen your work, so we don't know whether you've made some basic mistake or not.

If that were happening frequently, there'd be a huge uproar about it. EW is used by companies all over the world to create websites. Nobody would put up with that problem.

And you should know that using the design pane is dangerous. If you move or resize any div, it gets turned into an absolutely positioned object (like other drag-and-drop programs), and the page will break on any computer having different text display settings than yours.

Monday, September 15, 2014 10:57 PM
  • "I save a file and when I open it again, some texts appear repeated twice."

That's not an EW bug.  No one else has ever mentioned it.  Something is wrong on your PC's installation, or in files that are needed to run EW, or there is some corruption in your site files or EW's data for them.

• Edited by KathyW2 Tuesday, September 16, 2014 2:31 AM
    Tuesday, September 16, 2014 2:31 AM
  • Bill and Kathy, thanks for your information. I will check the installation.

Regards
    comrlr

• Edited by comrlr Tuesday, September 16, 2014 12:45 PM
    Tuesday, September 16, 2014 12:42 PM
  • Checking "the installation" is not just checking EW's installation.

EW has meta data for your site.  Is it corrupted?  (Google for "FPCleaner", download the correct version, and try using that.  EW will recreate any meta data and files it needs.)   This is fast and simple to try.

Is your installation of the asp.net framework, which includes Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF), corrupted?.  Both of these are heavily used by EW, and you may not have any other program on your PC that does, so only EW would show symptoms if your framework/WPF had a problem.   There have been quite a few cases where repairing the asp.net installation "fixed" EW.  Repairing the asp.net framework might require uninstalling it, using a framework clean up tool to make sure it's really uninstalled, and reinstalling.  Not trivial.

And, of course, we have no idea what is causing your particular issue, and can't say what will fix it.

Tuesday, September 16, 2014 3:20 PM

• I used FPCleaner and it seems it has gone OK. Thanks.

Regards
    comrlr

Monday, September 22, 2014 3:47 PM