none
Could not find Installable ISAM: Part 2 RRS feed

• Question

• hey guys,

i read the post http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=815084&SiteID=1 "Could not find installable ISAM"   but i need some more direction on this error.

i have ms office 2000 [ i checked in control panel=>add/remove=>ms office=>change to see if ISAM was installed initially, but nothing came up, only ODBC which i dont want to use] , and so in the data source part i changed it to excel 9.0 (i believe this is correct?) because when i go to projects => add reference => COM, only excel 5.0 and 9.0 show up; also is my file path syntax correct(it is exactly as shown)? b/c i have changed it to several times in attempting to resolve the issue.  btw, the error points to the line: cn.Open(); 

here is my code.

Code Snippet

public void srchbtn_Click(object sender, EventArgs e)

{

OleDbConnection cn = new OleDbConnection();

cn.ConnectionString = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;" + "Data Source=C:\\Documents and Settings\\denboera\\Desktop\\sample.xls;" + "Extended Properties=" + (char)34 + "Excel 9.0;HDR=Yes;IMEX=1;" + (char)34;

DataSet set = new DataSet();

string sqlXml = "select * from [Sheet1$]";

using (OleDbDataAdapter da = new OleDbDataAdapter(sqlXml, cn))

{

cn.Open();

da.Fill(set, @"C:\Documents and Settings\denboera\Desktop\sample.xls");

cn.Close();

}

StreamReader reader = new StreamReader(sqlXml);

set.ReadXml(reader);

DataTableCollection tables = set.Tables;

DataView view = new DataView(tables[0]);

DataGridView dgv = new DataGridView();

dgv.AutoGenerateColumns = true;

this.Controls.Add(dgv);

BindingSource source = new BindingSource();

source.DataSource = view;

dgv.DataSource = source;

source.Filter = "Author = 'textBox1.Text'";   

thanks,

aaron

Friday, July 4, 2008 6:48 PM

Answers

• I had no trouble with your code.  Start + Run, Regedit.exe, OK.  Navigate to HKLM\ Software\ Microsoft\ Jet\ 4.0\ ISAM Formats and verify that you've got a key named "Excel 8.0".
    Saturday, July 5, 2008 2:00 PM

All replies

• I had no trouble with your code.  Start + Run, Regedit.exe, OK.  Navigate to HKLM\ Software\ Microsoft\ Jet\ 4.0\ ISAM Formats and verify that you've got a key named "Excel 8.0".
    Saturday, July 5, 2008 2:00 PM
  • yes i do have "Excel 5.0" and "Excel 8.0"....but not "Excel 9.0"

but what i believe is the problem is that ms office with the Visual Studio C# runs on Excel 9.0...the reason being when i go to projects, add reference, .COM tab, microsoft excel 5.0/9.0  --> 8.0 does not show up (??)

here is what's happening:

on the line cn.ConnectionString = .... i leave it as excel 9.0  and i get the could not find ISAM error pointing to the line:

cn.Open();

if i change it to excel 8.0 or 5.0, i get illegal characters in path, pointing to the line:

StreamReader reader = new StreamReader(sqlXml);

any thoughts?

thanks

Monday, July 7, 2008 12:17 PM
  • "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;" + "Data Source=C:\\Documents and Settings\\denboera\\Desktop\\sample.xls;" + "Extended Properties=" + (char)34 + "Excel 9.0;HDR=Yes;" + (char)34;

Btw are you sure that the path is correct?  Sounds silly but... You never know.
    Monday, July 7, 2008 12:20 PM
  • ya the filepath is correct, and i have tried a couple variations of Provider=....

here is another way:

cn.ConnectionString = @"Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=" + Application.StartupPath + @"C:\Documents and Settings\denboera\Desktop\sample.xls;Extended Properties='Excel 9.0;HDR=Yes;IMEX=1'";

i also went into view=>solution explorer and made sure that the only version used is excel 9.0; again, i can't select excel 8.0 out of the references tab... is it that visual studio c# doesn't support 8.0 and ms office 2000 together?

Monday, July 7, 2008 12:37 PM
  • ok folks, i have an update...

so i went to this site :http://helpdesk.princeton.edu/kb/display.plx?id=8932 and i performed the steps to determine the situation of my computer. but when i put 'Regsvr32.exe "L:\DOCCENTRE\TRAK List\Support\MSEXCL35.dll"' into the run menu i recieved this message:

DllRegisterServer in L:\DOCCENTRE\TRAK List\Support\MSEXCL35.EXE failed

Return code was: 0x80004005

so basically, i am stucko..  i need some help with this one, like lots  lol

thanks, aaron

Monday, July 7, 2008 6:34 PM
  • If you're using the Jet OLEDB Provider the latest Excel ISAM supported is 8.0. There is no 9.0 and that will cause the error you are experiencing.
    Tuesday, July 8, 2008 12:09 PM
  • alrighty then...., well thanks

aaron

Tuesday, July 8, 2008 12:31 PM