none
is vsto free of charge? RRS feed

• Question

• hi

i have a question for you

im using visual studio 2010 (trial)  and i want to create an excel workbook with vsto (for home or bussiness use or to sell it) , so its free of charge or i have to buy it? i mean i have to buy visual studio and vsto? none of them? maybe i have to use vs express edition with vsto? or something else?

thanks in advance

Thursday, April 7, 2011 5:53 AM

Answers

• im using visual studio 2010 (trial)  and i want to create an excel workbook with vsto (for home or bussiness use or to sell it) , so its free of charge or i have to buy it? i mean i have to buy visual studio and vsto? none of them? maybe i have to use vs express edition with vsto? or something else?

Hi Legosa

VSTO is only available as part of Visual Studio 2010 PROFESSIONAL or "higher", no other edition offers VSTO.

It's possible to create Office Add-ins using the "Shared Add-in" template, available in all editions of Visual Studio. An Add-in is global for the application, you can't use it to create a workbook linked with code.

It would also be possible to create a "plain" DLL, make it COM-Visible and call that from VBA code "stubs" saved in an Excel workbook.

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP
    • Marked as answer by legosa1 Thursday, April 7, 2011 11:10 AM
    Thursday, April 7, 2011 6:50 AM

All replies

• you can develop VSTO addins with visual studio express

and they don't charge for visual studio express. hope that puts you at ease.

Thursday, April 7, 2011 6:00 AM
  • as i know visual studio express does not include vsto so i have to download this?

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=06C32242-2289-4471-93AA-CE96AA5CBC36

can i develop vsto workbook or only addins?

thanks

Thursday, April 7, 2011 6:12 AM
  • im using visual studio 2010 (trial)  and i want to create an excel workbook with vsto (for home or bussiness use or to sell it) , so its free of charge or i have to buy it? i mean i have to buy visual studio and vsto? none of them? maybe i have to use vs express edition with vsto? or something else?

Hi Legosa

VSTO is only available as part of Visual Studio 2010 PROFESSIONAL or "higher", no other edition offers VSTO.

It's possible to create Office Add-ins using the "Shared Add-in" template, available in all editions of Visual Studio. An Add-in is global for the application, you can't use it to create a workbook linked with code.

It would also be possible to create a "plain" DLL, make it COM-Visible and call that from VBA code "stubs" saved in an Excel workbook.

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP
    • Marked as answer by legosa1 Thursday, April 7, 2011 11:10 AM
    Thursday, April 7, 2011 6:50 AM