none
VSTO does not appear to be installed correctly RRS feed

• Question

• I have recently uninstalled and reinstalled VS2010 Ultimate.  I have installed all components.  Previously I had no problem opening an Outlook AddIn project that we maintain.  Since the install it tells me that it cannot open the project as the project type is not supported.  Opening Help|About does not show an entry for VSTO, but the templates are there.  Attempting to create an Outlook AddIn however gives me a solution folder containing an empty project folder and a dialog on the screen saying, "Object reference not set to an instance of an object.".

I have searched the Internet and tried:

• Running devenv /ResetSkipPkgs
    • Running devenv /setup
    • Installing MSXML 6

all of which were listed as potential fixes for the issue, but the problem is still there.

Visual Studio 2010 Ultimate with SP1, MS Office Professional Plus 64 bit, Windows 7 64 bit with SP1, all completely up to date via Windows Update.

Any ideas, I have to make a minor amendment to the software and am currently completely stuck!

Tuesday, November 6, 2012 5:22 PM

Answers

• Okay, the problem is solved, but I had to go round a rather tortuous route.  I ran the framework verification tool, which re-installed the installer then tried to do a repair on the component.  This did not work as  it was complaining about missing installation files and so I tried an uninstall of the component.  This worked and resulted in the VS 2010 installer admitting that there was a VSTO component available to install.  I attempted to use the installer to install the component, but it wouldn't do it as it said I was missing files required for installation.  I then tried to repair the complete VS 2010 installation, which brought up numerous errors about various install files being missing.  After a little research, I realized that my best option was a complete uninstall and start again from scratch.  According to what I had read, the uninstaller supplied with VS 2010 doesn't uninstall all the components and so I hunted for and found the VS 2010 uninstall tool.  Using this, I did a complete uninstall of VS 2010 using this and then re-installed.  Following the re-install, everything appears to be working okay.  Hooray, success!!!

The interesting thing is that since I originally installed the product, a company merger and restructuring has meant I have moved domains.  The files the the installer was complaining about being missing were being searched for under the home directory of my user on the old domain.  I think that there is a possibility that there may be an issue with where necessary install files are being stored that means that the installer gets confused if a different user attempts to maintain the installation.  This is odd as I have done an 'uninstall' (using control panel remove programs) and re-install as the new user and it appeared to be okay, but was probably where the VSTO problems started.  This is not going to be an issue for users who have installation media, but I use the web installer which means that I have no media containing lost installation files.  Presumably these could be downloaded from the original source, but there does not appear to be an option to do that, just an option to select an alternative location on disk for the files.  The uninstaller also says that a network drive is unavailable when it is clearly looking for the files on C:, but that is largely cosmetic.

An interesting few days and I have learned a lot, but I would rather just be able to get on with developing the software I am paid to develop!

Monday, November 12, 2012 9:52 AM

All replies

• Hi Simon,

Thanks for posting in the MSDN Forum.

I will involve some experts into your issue to see whether they can help you out. There might be some time delay, appreciate for your patience.

Have a good day,

Tom

Tom Xu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Wednesday, November 7, 2012 4:36 AM
  • Hi,

The VSTO failed to install in this case. I have a few suggestions:

1. Clean up %temp% folder, prepare to collect installation log.
    2. From Program and Features, repair Visual Studio. If the VSTO still doesn't function, then:
    3. Download the collect.exe and collect installation log, vslogs.cab Please share the log via Skydrive if necessary. http://skydrive.com

Forrest Guo | MSDN Community Support | Feedback to manager

Wednesday, November 7, 2012 11:38 AM
  • Hi,

I have done as you suggested, the repair didn't make any difference.  I didn't think it would, I had already tried that. The vslogs.cab file is on SkyDrive here.

Thanks for your assistance, I just hope that it sheds some light on the issue.

Regards

Simon Williams

Wednesday, November 7, 2012 3:26 PM
  • First, does the issue specific to Outlook addin project, or all VSTO addin project template? If it's specific to Outlook, I think the project template is corrupt, we can restore project template by:

devenv /installvstemplates

Second, In dd_install_vs_vstscore_100.txt, below error message snippet:

• Microsoft Application Error Reporting: ISetupManager::GetGlobalCustomProperty() failed to find global prop in CBaseComponent::GetGlobalCustomProperty()
    • setup.exe: ***ERRORLOG EVENT*** : ISetupComponent::GetInstallationDirectory() failed in ISetupManager::PersistComponentData()
    • Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Ultimate - ENU: CMSIDirectory::EnumerateVIProducts: Error enumerating Vertical Integration clients

I suspect .NET Framework may corrupt. To verify this, please download and run the .NET Framework Verfication tool: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2008/10/13/8999004.aspx  There'll be log for each .NET version. Please share the log if any version fail.

On the other hand, in VS Help > About dialog, the related entry should be "Microsoft Office Developer Tools", please let me know if you don't have it.

At last, as the VSTO design time component is the

{D57519D3-2E37-3E34-94AF-4D59BFAB87E6} Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Office Developer Tools (x64), this component doesn't show up in Program and Features, we can repair it in command line:

msiexec /f {D57519D3-2E37-3E34-94AF-4D59BFAB87E6}

Thursday, November 8, 2012 1:44 PM
  • Hi Simon?

Monday, November 12, 2012 3:26 AM
  • Okay, the problem is solved, but I had to go round a rather tortuous route.  I ran the framework verification tool, which re-installed the installer then tried to do a repair on the component.  This did not work as  it was complaining about missing installation files and so I tried an uninstall of the component.  This worked and resulted in the VS 2010 installer admitting that there was a VSTO component available to install.  I attempted to use the installer to install the component, but it wouldn't do it as it said I was missing files required for installation.  I then tried to repair the complete VS 2010 installation, which brought up numerous errors about various install files being missing.  After a little research, I realized that my best option was a complete uninstall and start again from scratch.  According to what I had read, the uninstaller supplied with VS 2010 doesn't uninstall all the components and so I hunted for and found the VS 2010 uninstall tool.  Using this, I did a complete uninstall of VS 2010 using this and then re-installed.  Following the re-install, everything appears to be working okay.  Hooray, success!!!

The interesting thing is that since I originally installed the product, a company merger and restructuring has meant I have moved domains.  The files the the installer was complaining about being missing were being searched for under the home directory of my user on the old domain.  I think that there is a possibility that there may be an issue with where necessary install files are being stored that means that the installer gets confused if a different user attempts to maintain the installation.  This is odd as I have done an 'uninstall' (using control panel remove programs) and re-install as the new user and it appeared to be okay, but was probably where the VSTO problems started.  This is not going to be an issue for users who have installation media, but I use the web installer which means that I have no media containing lost installation files.  Presumably these could be downloaded from the original source, but there does not appear to be an option to do that, just an option to select an alternative location on disk for the files.  The uninstaller also says that a network drive is unavailable when it is clearly looking for the files on C:, but that is largely cosmetic.

An interesting few days and I have learned a lot, but I would rather just be able to get on with developing the software I am paid to develop!

Monday, November 12, 2012 9:52 AM
  • Your idea about repair the product by different user is valuable, I'll pass it to engineering team. Thank you  for it.

On the other hand, it's useful to burn disk while you install Visual Studio, in case you need to repair the product occasionaly.

with regards,

Monday, November 12, 2012 3:01 PM