none
Black Screen after login - takes over a minute to login RRS feed

• Question

• HI,

we are using Citrix Profile Management and FSLogix for Office containers.  It appears that after enabling FSLogix, the login times to servers (2016) have doubled.  Looking at the logon process , the SHELL portion takes about 25 seconds itself (I;m assuming this is the portion where the screen is black after logging in).

From what I understand, the impact to login times should be minimal.  Any suggestions on where else I can look? I've looked through the event logs, fslogix logs, citrix profile mgmt logs, and looked at all my GPOs

I havent found anything to identify what is causing the login process, actually the desktop loading process, to "hang" like it is.

Thanks

Friday, August 23, 2019 7:16 PM

All replies

• Hi BadWold5150

We've been experiencing the exact same issue, which I believe is related to the Windows Search Service.  I would be interested to here what Microsoft/FSlogix have to say about this issue?  I'm not whether this is CPU related, or just Search becoming corrupted.

From the event logs it's the Search service that is timing out, rebuilding etc. and that the StartShell is kicking in.  Eventually if you log out enough users it sorts itself out.

Thanks

Wednesday, August 28, 2019 9:38 AM
  • Some information about your FSLogix configuration would be helpful. You are correct that the black screen portion is when shell/explorer is in the process of starting. This is also the time period where the Office containers for FSLogix are initialized. Container vhds are formatted here, which can take a little longer on the first login.

Try switching between CCDLocations and VHDLocations - VHDLocations is usually more performant because it's writing directly to the VHD without caching or writing to multiple locations. You can also try putting your VHD temporarily on your local disk instead of network just to measure how much impact that is having.

Wednesday, August 28, 2019 5:14 PM
  • Hello BadWolf5150 and HadlyMick,

I'm sorry to hear that both of you are having delays logging into FSLogix. This is an issue that you will probably need to open an FSLogix Support Request to resolve since you will need to send machine specific information to support to troubleshoot your issue.

If you are able to successfully login after a delay, you will probably just need to send the results of the FSLogix support tool to support.

If you are experiencing a hard lock with FSLogix you will probably also need to send a Memory Dump to troubleshoot FSLogix issues too.

- Micah Adamson

Wednesday, August 28, 2019 6:18 PM
    Owner
  • VHDlocations is already set, not using CCD locations, I believe the issue is due to the Windows Search search, stopping/Starting and prevent the startshell.
    Thursday, August 29, 2019 8:38 AM
  • attaching my fslogix config..

Tuesday, September 3, 2019 6:38 PM
  • Which event log are you finding the information about search service?
    Tuesday, September 3, 2019 6:41 PM
  • Im also seeing search errors and cortana errors. NOt sure why, I have cortana disabled.
    Tuesday, September 3, 2019 6:46 PM
  • here's a computer without fslogix installed. you can see login times much better
    Tuesday, September 3, 2019 6:48 PM
  • Hello BadWolf5150,

Thanks for the additional information. I had my colleagues in support read through this thread today and they confirmed that you should open an FSLogix Support Request since they will need machine specific information from the FSLogix support tool to troubleshoot this issue further.

Thanks.

- Micah Adamson

Wednesday, September 4, 2019 5:26 PM
    Owner