Papa Syd RRS feed

• Question

• I used to use Front Page and I had a Header page which I could include in all my other pages.  Now I'm using Microsoft Expression 4 ,  how can I include or embed my Header page into any other page?
    Thank you
    Syd
    Sunday, August 25, 2013 6:55 AM

All replies

• You'll use a DWT (Dynamic Web Template) for all the common parts of your page--headers, navigation, footers, empty content Divs, etc.

But first...

DO NOT open the old site in EW4 if what you are talking about is Shared Borders. EW4 will hose them completely. Open the site in FrontPage, remove the Shared Borders, then open the site in EW.

To see how DWTs work, open one of the website templates provided with EW4. They all use DWT. To create a new page, click New, Page from DWT, then choose the DWT that you want (usually only one for the site), and it will make your new blank page for you.

DWTs are described in Help files.

Things Liberal Arts graduates never like to hear:
    “…which means you are going first in Double Jeopardy.”

Sunday, August 25, 2013 5:37 PM
  • You'll use a DWT (Dynamic Web Template) for all the common parts of your page--headers, navigation, footers, empty content Divs, etc

And if you would like more information on using DWT's see Tina's free ebook

http://any-expression.com/expression-web/ebooks/expression-web-dwt-ebook.htm

pat

Pat Geary - Microsoft MVP

Expression  Web Tutorials & Templates | Expression Web Blog | Migrating from FrontPage to Expression
     - Free EW Community Toolbar - Free Site Templates

Monday, August 26, 2013 2:42 PM
  • You can still use design time includes in Expression Web. You can't use shared borders but includes continue to work just fine. Though in most cases you'd be better off using a DWT as others referenced. You may find the basic website tutorial at http://by-expression.com helpful since you are migrating from FrontPage. There is a distinct learning curve but it isn't that hard.

There are other learning resources including the ebook site Pat mentioned and her own site in the FAQ sticky at the top of this forum.

Free Expression Web Tutorials
    For an Expression Web forum without the posting issues try expressionwebforum.com

Friday, August 30, 2013 5:07 PM