Certification tests fails for windows 10 driver RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, 

I'm a bit confused about the sign process for windows 10 drivers.

I have a device with special driver which I need to sign.

Following the instructions, I installed this driver (which is not certificated, I used the windows 10 bypass to install it) on windows 10 64bit.

There are two failed tests, which both are related to certification (I think): 

1. DF - Device Driver INF Verification Test
    2. WDK Guardrail Analysis

I'm not sure that i'm doing it right.

I used the signTool.exe to sign the winqual.exe file and uploaded it to dashboard.

Should I sign the driver too? 

If so, which one should I sign? The driver itself resides now in Windows folders.

Is there anything else that i'm missing?

Thanks.

Monday, July 11, 2016 6:49 AM

Answers

• To install and boot a driver in Windows 10 you don't _have_ to pass certification tests, you only need to sign the driver properly.

At the moment, a usual cross-signature works fine: you need to have a key (either Class 3 or EV), download a cross-certificate for the issuer of your key and use signtool.exe to sign kernel mode modules (usually named *.sys) and catalogue files (*.cat). Don't forget /ac "path-to-cross.crt", otherwise the signature will not be valid (check validity with signtool.exe verify /v /kp "file.sys"). After that simply reinstall the signed driver.

After the release of Windows 10 AR, a Microsoft signature will be required, which can be obtained by sending a driver package (signed with your certificate) via SysDev dashboard (File signing services -> Create driver signing submission). This is not qualification test signature, it's just an automated authenticity signature that does not test the driver in any way. To get it you need a EV certificate assigned to your company in the Dashboard and used for signing the CAB archive, Class 3 certificate is not enough.

• Marked as answer by korentecUser Tuesday, July 12, 2016 11:19 AM
    Monday, July 11, 2016 3:17 PM