none
VS 2008 BIDS RDL Files Importing into VS 2008 Report Viewer Control? RRS feed

• Question

• I tried several searches to see if this was posted elsewhere but no luck...

I had read in a Blog (might have been an MS Blog) that RDL files built in VS 2008 BIDS cannot be renamed as RDLC and used in a VS 2008 Web Application Project as the source for a Report Viewer Control. The posting indicated the VS 2008 Report Viewer Control only supported VS 2005 format RDLC files.

The post was from Aug 2008 and indicated a response from Microsoft that this would be fixed in 6 months.

1. Is this actually the case? If so it would explain the problem I'm having with VS 2008 Report Viewer not recognizing the schema for a VS 2008 BIDS developed RDLC.
    2. When will this be fixed? I have an app I require Word Export for, I have to use Report Viewer Control (long story) and the VS 2005 format only supports Excel and PDF.

Any help is greatly appreciated. 

Friday, January 30, 2009 1:14 PM

Answers

• Hi Richard,

Yes this is the case. RDL from BIDS 2008 cannot be used in VS 2008 RDLC.

We are working on the new version of the control as part of Dev 10. We plan to have the first version in Beta 1 of Dev 10 coming out within the next couple of months. The final bits will ship with the Dev 10 release.

Brad Syputa, Microsoft Reporting Services This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties.
    Friday, January 30, 2009 5:24 PM
  • Richard, we understand your frustration.

As you may have however seen in other discussions on this forum, or in related blog posts, this is not only about the schema being changed.  This is about a huge set of new features being available with SQL Server Reporting Services 2008 - to name a few: tablix layout flexibility, "RichText" formatting within textboxes, HTML formatting automatically converting into all supported rendering formats, new Word rendering, etc.

Robert Bruckner   http://blogs.msdn.com/robertbruckner

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Saturday, January 31, 2009 6:29 PM

All replies

• Hi Richard,

Yes this is the case. RDL from BIDS 2008 cannot be used in VS 2008 RDLC.

We are working on the new version of the control as part of Dev 10. We plan to have the first version in Beta 1 of Dev 10 coming out within the next couple of months. The final bits will ship with the Dev 10 release.

Brad Syputa, Microsoft Reporting Services This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties.
    Friday, January 30, 2009 5:24 PM
  • So we're not going to see this bug fixed until the next major release of Visual Studio?

Yes, I said "bug". You may call this a "design decision" but from an end-user perspective VS 2008 is broken. I have SQL Server 2008 with BIDS 2008, VS 2008 and I can't use RDLs from BIDS 2008 in VS 2008 with the Report Viewer Control that ships with VS 2008? When all the versions of a product don't interoperate that's "broken". I'm incredibly disappointed. We pay Microsoft a pile of money for VSTS and we keep getting into these cross-product line issues. Given the way things are going in the Financial Services industry I was very hard pressed to get the money to renew our VSTS licenses. Now I have to explain why the software we paid for doesn't work correctly.

This has developed into an ongoing pattern with these products. First there's no BIDS for VS 2008 because VS 2008 was released well ahead of SQL 2008. Now that they're all in RTM, the Report Viewer Control in VS 2008 doesn't support BIDS 2008 format. Did you really not know what the BIDS 2008 RDL schema was going to be? You couldn't have updated the control to detect the format and provide the appropriate support, or else had an update staged and waiting for SQL/BIDS 2008 RTM to release it? Now I have a great new tool, Report Builder, that I can't even use because we deploy 95% of our reports as RDLC, not server-based.

This is extremely frustrating.

End of rant.

Friday, January 30, 2009 5:37 PM
  • Richard, we understand your frustration.

As you may have however seen in other discussions on this forum, or in related blog posts, this is not only about the schema being changed.  This is about a huge set of new features being available with SQL Server Reporting Services 2008 - to name a few: tablix layout flexibility, "RichText" formatting within textboxes, HTML formatting automatically converting into all supported rendering formats, new Word rendering, etc.

Robert Bruckner   http://blogs.msdn.com/robertbruckner

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Saturday, January 31, 2009 6:29 PM