Web Deploy to GoDaddy shared hosting RRS feed

• Question

• User-879727125 posted

Is anyone using Web Deploy to deploy a web site from Visual Studio to a GoDaddy shared hosting site? If so, then it will help to know it works. If you can share details of how to do it then that will help too. Specifically, where is the password set?

I was able to use Web Deploy to deploy from Visual Studio 2015 to GoDaddy once but then every other time I get a Certificate Error. I don't know if it is my problem or GoDaddy's problem. If it is GoDaddy then it would help to be able to point them in the correct direction.

I have a few web sites I have been hosting in GoDaddy. GoDaddy has upgraded my hosting plan. With the new hosting plan I can use Web Deploy. I have created web sites in VS. Then to deploy them I have downloaded the Web Deploy Publish Settings (as described in Download your WebMatrix Publish Profile (Web Deploy) | Windows Hosting (Plesk) - GoDaddy Help) for each of the sites and imported them into VS using "Publish Web App". That worked one time for one site (the primary site) but every other time, for every site, when I use the "Validate Connection" button I get:

And when I click on "View Detail" I get:

The problem might be that I am using the wrong password but I don't think so. I (think I) am using the password for the userid that is in the downloaded publish settings. Since it worked once for me but not again I suspect it is a GoDaddy problem but their customer support of course says it is a Microsoft problem.

When VS imports the publish settings it creates a Web Deploy.pubxml file. The one time the publish worked the pubxml file had a "ADUsesOwinOrOpenIdConnect" tag but every other time it does not. If anyone knows if that makes a difference then that might help.

Does anyone know how to get Web Deploy to GoDaddy working or how to explain to them what problem they need to fix?

</div>

Tuesday, May 31, 2016 6:29 PM

Answers

• User932909087 posted

Hi Sam,

You may need to contact Godaddy about your issue. It seems that WebDeploy hasnt been setup properly.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Tuesday, June 7, 2016 4:43 AM

All replies

• User-821857111 posted

I don't use Web Deploy to publish sites, but the screen shots you showed are not show stoppers. You should be able to accept the warnings about certificates and continue from there. However, if you continue to run into problems with Web deploy, you should post to http://forums.iis.net.

Wednesday, June 1, 2016 6:05 AM
  • User932909087 posted

Hi Sam,

You may need to contact Godaddy about your issue. It seems that WebDeploy hasnt been setup properly.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Tuesday, June 7, 2016 4:43 AM
  • User-879727125 posted

Thank you, Masterpiece88. Yes, I think that is the problem; that GoDaddy did not set things up properly. I did contact them very much and I posted in their community forum. They are unable or unwilling to fix it. I doubt there is anything I can do. Except if someone knows what GoDaddy has done wrong then I can tell them but it is unlikely anyone outside of GoDaddy can figure that out.

Friday, September 16, 2016 6:12 PM
  • User-879727125 posted

Mikesdotnetting, I don't want to ignore certificate errors. It is dangerous to get into the habit of ignoring errors like that. Even if it works now, I have no way of knowing if hackers will take advantage in the future. Don't you know that they look for things like that to take advantage of?

Friday, September 16, 2016 6:16 PM
  • User-821857111 posted

Yes. In hindsight, my advice about ignoring the warning was not at all sound. However, my suggestion to try the Web Deploy forum still stands.

Friday, September 16, 2016 7:36 PM