URL direction changes everytime I save project RRS feed

• Question

• I can open a template of a webpage for our company on my computer in WE3 that works fine but when I go to save it the url of the mouse over buttons are changed.  When a co-worker does the samething with WE3 on his computer it saves fine. 

When I hit save, I change the file name, to new desired name, save as type is "Web Pages".  Then a pop-up comes up with "Save Embedded Files"  I choose "Set Action" then "Don't overwrite the existing file."

Wednesday, September 1, 2010 6:32 PM

All replies

• It sounds as though you may be opening single pages from the file system rather than from a defined web. Have you openned a web site first?
    Ian Haynes

EW V4 Add-Ins
    EW resources, hints and tips
    Wednesday, September 1, 2010 7:16 PM
  • that is correct, but we are creating html for ebay ads but the graphics are stored on our web server.  Like I said, my co-worker can do the exact same thing on his computer with WE3 and it works or saves fine.
    Wednesday, September 1, 2010 7:23 PM
  • Perhaps your coworker is using a locally defined site such and creating all the pages in it and not directly through the file system. The difference being

Expression Web > no open site > file new > save as to folder on hard drive

vs

Expression Web > Site > Open Site > File > New, save to open site.

Even if you are creating individual pages for eBay ads the second method of working within a defined local site is still better workflow with the program and less likely to lead to path and other errors.

MS MVP Expression Tutorials & Help http://by-expression.com
    Wednesday, September 1, 2010 10:12 PM
  • Cheryl

Thanks for your reply.  We are not that skilled on Expressions Web. We have a server that stores all our graphics anty-up.com but we store all the ebay ads on our local network. When we open up EW3 we open the anty-up server and then we open the ebay ad from our local network. We both do this the same on each computer but on one computer the roll-over button urls are saved without being changed and on the other computer the automatically change when saved where they dont work.  Are we doing anything wrong and how can we fix it.

My email address is cliff@tambabay.rr.com, it would be great if you could help us out.

Jenni Harper

Thursday, September 2, 2010 4:18 PM
  • Hmm, re-reading the original post, I'd like to get a little clarification. It seems to me that we have had this same discussion before, recently, about not having to save remotely hosted resources locally. I argued against the practice, because I like to use CDNs for delivery of several different kinds of content, and requiring local save (or appearing to in this case) defeats the purpose.

Let me see if I have this straight, Jenni. Your image resources are hosted at http://www.anty-up.com/ (I'm guessing that you sell watches, no? ;-). When you reference an image for an eBay ad, and then later save the page, you get the "Save Embedded Files" dialog. Here's where your problem comes in.

When you get that dialog you should use Set Action to tell EW not to save the image, to use the one on disk. Yes, I know, there is none on the local disk. That's immaterial. It will use the one in the url provided, and will not muck about with your url in code. In my own experiment, it (EW4) remembered the setting and did not ask to "save embedded" when I later added additional remotely-hosted images.

Give it a try, do some testing, and see what you come up with. Let us know...

cheers,
    scott

C'mon, folks. This isn't rocket science, nor neurosurgery. It's "Expression" (singular) "Web" (singular), in that order, followed by a version numeral if you wish to be specific. It is often abbreviated "EW." It is not "Web Expression," "Expressions Web," "Web Expressions," or plain "Expression" or "Expressions." Not using the correct name indicates either ignorance or laziness. Most folks would rather avoid the appearance of either.
    Thursday, September 2, 2010 5:05 PM
  • Hi Scott,

We do exactly that, we select to "not" save the images. But on one computer it does not deleate the base root url and on the other computer it does, and we do EXACTLY the same thing on each computer.  Please excuse our ignorance, we do not know what "CDN's" refers to.  Could you please explain more on that.  Thanks

Thursday, September 2, 2010 5:15 PM
  • CDN = Content Delivery Network

Google has several, providing, for example, all oif the versions of the jQuery library, mootools, prototype, YUI, etc. They also provide a fonts repository that lets you use a selection of fonts (webfontloader) without the requirement that they be present on the visitor's machine. Check out http://code.google.com/apis/libraries/devguide.html.

Google's is not the only one, of course, but is probably one of the larger and more extensively distributed,

Whoa, I just recognized something you said above. Are you using a base element to set a base url for your links? I haven't personally used <base ... / >, but I do recall others having issues with it in EW. If you are using a base element, try a test page without it, simply specifying your image urls as full absolute urls, and see if that makes a diference in behavior. That is how I conducted my tests, described above, and that may resolve your issue.

cheers,
    scott

C'mon, folks. This isn't rocket science, nor neurosurgery. It's "Expression" (singular) "Web" (singular), in that order, followed by a version numeral if you wish to be specific. It is often abbreviated "EW." It is not "Web Expression," "Expressions Web," "Web Expressions," or plain "Expression" or "Expressions." Not using the correct name indicates either ignorance or laziness. Most folks would rather avoid the appearance of either.
    Thursday, September 2, 2010 5:39 PM
  • We have a webserver anty-up.com I store all my graphics that I use for my ebay listings there including the roll-overs for my buttons. It does not matter if I start out by opening the anty-up site then opening up the listing or leaving anty-up.com closed then opening the listing. It still changes the url for the roll-over everytime I save. Even when I choose set action for the embedded files "do not save" over existing. On one computer we do it exactly the same way and it works fine and on the other computer it does not do it.  All the ebay ads are stored on our local network. There are no base tabs in the code. This is driving us crazy!  Thanks for everyones help with this, if anyone can help us we will be so greatfull.
    Thursday, September 2, 2010 8:55 PM
  • Hmm, I took the impression from your statement "... it does not deleate the base root url..." that you might be using a <base... / > tag to establish the url from which other links on the page would be referenced. (See http://www.w3schools.com/TAGS/tag_base.asp) It can be easily checked by looking at Page Properties. If not, well...

One thing we haven't seen yet is examples of the before and after. Could you copy and paste here exactly what the url looks like before the save, and then again after the save, so we can see what kind of transformation is occurring?

cheers,
    scott

Thursday, September 2, 2010 11:46 PM
  •  How are you opening the remote site worth the images?
    MS MVP Expression Tutorials & Help http://by-expression.com
    Friday, September 3, 2010 3:34 PM