none
Visual Studio insists on making unnecessary changes to DataSet RRS feed

• Question

• I work on a project that uses DataSets heavily.  If I add a new table to an existing DataSet, Visual Studio rewrites the xsd and changes the attribute order for every single column element in the schema. Not only is it unnecessary, but it's terribly annoying because it makes it much more difficult to do comparisons between the local working copy and what's in the source control repository.
    Thursday, August 13, 2009 8:19 PM

All replies

• Post in the Dataset forum. Class designer does not support datasets.

Please mark the post answered your question as the answer, and mark other helpful posts as helpful.
    Visual C++ MVP
    Friday, August 14, 2009 12:09 AM
  • Hey Brenda,

Can you give a small sample of the type of issue that you see?

Thanks
    Chris Robinson
    Program Manager - DataSet

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Friday, August 14, 2009 4:21 PM
  • We are changing the issue type to “General Discussion” because you have not followed up with the necessary information. If you have more time to look at the issue and provide more information, please feel free to change the issue type back to “Question” by opening the Options list at the top of the post window, and changing the type. If the issue is resolved, we will appreciate it if you can share the solution so that the answer can be found and used by other community members having similar questions.

Thank you!

Best Regards,
    Lingzhi

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Friday, August 21, 2009 1:30 AM
  • Brenda, if you modify the .xsd (XML view) yourself rather than using the DataSet Designer, you'll avoid this problem. Since VS2005, the DataSet Designer has automatically added a lot of junk to the .xsd and I avoid it like the plague.
    ~~Bonnie Berent [C# MVP]
    Friday, September 4, 2009 5:35 AM
  • Hey Brenda,

Thanks
    Chris Robinson

Sure.  Doing something as simple as changing the length of a column changes the XSD for an unmodified column from this:

<xs:element name="Id" msprop:Generator_UserColumnName="Id" msprop:Generator_ColumnVarNameInTable="columnId" msprop:Generator_ColumnPropNameInRow="Id" msprop:Generator_ColumnPropNameInTable="IdColumn" type="xs:long" />

To this:

<xs:element name="Id" msprop:Generator_UserColumnName="Id" msprop:Generator_ColumnPropNameInRow="Id" msprop:Generator_ColumnVarNameInTable="columnId" msprop:Generator_ColumnPropNameInTable="IdColumn" type="xs:long" />

The attribute values are identical.  All it did was change the order of the Generator_ColumnVarNameInTable and Generator_ColumnPropNameInRow attributes.

Thursday, November 5, 2009 11:05 PM
  • Hey Brenda,

Thanks
    Chris Robinson

Sure.  Doing something as simple as changing the length of a column changes the XSD for an unmodified column from this:

<xs:element name="Id" msprop:Generator_UserColumnName="Id" msprop:Generator_ColumnVarNameInTable="columnId" msprop:Generator_ColumnPropNameInRow="Id" msprop:Generator_ColumnPropNameInTable="IdColumn" type="xs:long" />

To this:

<xs:element name="Id" msprop:Generator_UserColumnName="Id" msprop:Generator_ColumnPropNameInRow="Id" msprop:Generator_ColumnVarNameInTable="columnId" msprop:Generator_ColumnPropNameInTable="IdColumn" type="xs:long" />

The attribute values are identical.  All it did was change the order of the Generator_ColumnVarNameInTable and Generator_ColumnPropNameInRow attributes.

Hi,

I am having the same headache, any solution for this?

Regards,

Monday, June 19, 2017 6:59 AM
  • This is an old thread, but in my reply earlier (which apparently nobody has noticed), I said that you should modify the .xsd (XML view) yourself rather than using the DataSet Designer, and you'll avoid this problem. Since VS2005, the DataSet Designer has automatically added a lot of junk to the .xsd and I avoid it like the plague.

Right-click on the .xsd in your project, choose "Open With ...", then choose "XML (Text) Editor" (you can also set it as the Default, which you should probably do so that the Designer is never opened when you double-click on your .xsd in your project, only the XML editor).

~~Bonnie DeWitt [C# MVP]

http://geek-goddess-bonnie.blogspot.com

Monday, June 19, 2017 3:13 PM