none
Who should have the waivers? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm failing a couple of the Works for Server 2008 tests because of third-party DLLs that aren't signed and don't have valid file information. I assumed I could just document these files and send it to Veritest together with the test results.

On the Veritest site I had a look at the "Online Registration for Certification Programs" pages and on one of them it says:

"Any test cases with “Fail” or “Undetermined” results in your test report will be grounds for failure for the verification without a waiver from Microsoft.

Does your test report for your product show that your product Passed all test cases, or did you receive a waiver from Microsoft for any test cases with “Fail” or “Undetermined” results?

Please note that all waivers received from Microsoft must be submitted with your test results."

Do I have to get the waivers approved by Microsoft before I send them to Veritest?

Tuesday, February 19, 2008 9:26 AM

Answers

• As clarified in the blog, you only need to document all the 3rd party files (along with owners) which appear as failing the test cases.

As further clarified in the blog on waiver examples:

Examples: Logo Tool errors, Windows limitation, or technical documentation exists why no other workaround existed for exemption (very limited).

Waivers are not required when only documentation is sufficient to detail test case issues.

Hope it helps.

Thanks

Thursday, March 20, 2008 12:00 PM

All replies

• Hi,

If these are third party files that you don't control, Just document them and work with your testing vendor to move forward.

Thanks.

Pooja.

Tuesday, February 19, 2008 9:37 AM
  • Frank, did you figure these out? Actually, the third-party components should be documented and issued to Microsoft and they will return a waiver that you can submit to VeriTest.

If you haven't settled this with VeriTest already I suggest you contact Venkat in these forums and he will help you out with the waiver.

Thursday, February 21, 2008 8:30 PM
  •  

I wasn't planning to send them to MS because of the above answer. I reckoned that it was sufficient to just document them to Veritest, but now I'm a little confused.

Do someone know exactly what needs to be done in a case where there are a few third-party DLLs that don't have valid file information and aren't digital signed?

Thursday, February 21, 2008 8:36 PM
  • Yes, I do

You should document each third-party component with name and version along with the corresponding failing dlls. Next, you send it off to Venkat at the Logo programs public email address, wslogofb@microsoft.com.

The application form should've been available on the Innovate site but during the latest site update I believe the document was missing. Until they get it out there, you can download it here: http://www.kodecompagniet.com/download/Works_with_Windows_Server_2008_Waiver_Application.zip

Thursday, February 21, 2008 8:46 PM
  • Thanks. They really like to confuse people. On the first page it says

This document is used to apply for waivers for specific test cases for the Works with Windows Server 2008 program.  Please complete all of the information in this document and submit to WsLogoFB@microsoft.com before submitting your application to a testing vendor for certification.

In the form itself it says:

"Use this waiver submission form to document all waiver requests related to your application.  Once complete send this to your Microsoft-authorized test vendor (Veritest or Wipro) for further review. "

But OK, I'll send it to wslogofb@microsoft.com (I just hope they check their e-mail more often than the people who gets the wslogoea@microsoft.com mail :-)
    Thursday, February 21, 2008 8:59 PM
  • That is why it is called an EAP  the confusing parts needs to be sorted out before final release.

Good luck with your application.

Thursday, February 21, 2008 9:13 PM
  • According to http://blogs.msdn.com/wslogo/, it states waivers are not needed for 3rd party files. So which is correct, do we need to submit waivers for them or just documentation for them at submission time?

3rd party files

Definition: Any file not part of your build process, and not owned by your Product group or Company.

If these files do not have signatures or valid file properties, these files will fail the test case, but will NOT block achieving Works with designation.

Do not sign files that do not belong to your Product group or Company.

Do not assign file properties to files that do not belong to your Product Group or Company.

Document, no waiver required.

Documentation must include all 3rd party file names and owners which appear as failing the test cases.

Documentation must be public facing for the use and convenience of your Customers.

Documentation must be provided to test vendor upon submission.

Monday, March 17, 2008 3:56 PM
  • As clarified in the blog, you only need to document all the 3rd party files (along with owners) which appear as failing the test cases.

As further clarified in the blog on waiver examples:

Examples: Logo Tool errors, Windows limitation, or technical documentation exists why no other workaround existed for exemption (very limited).

Waivers are not required when only documentation is sufficient to detail test case issues.

Hope it helps.

Thanks

Thursday, March 20, 2008 12:00 PM