none
Web service build RRS feed

  • Question

  • HI,

    I have web service(built with in MVC project) that is communicating with InfoPath and returning query results from Oracle DB.

    When I build and deploy the service to  hosting IIS( on my local machine) the InfoPath gives error. When my colleague does the SAME thing(creates bin files on his local box) it is working. What might be the culprit? Again, we are using the same source code, that is confirmed. Might it be that the Oracle driver is somehow outdated on my machine(this is just a guess), or could it be something else?

    Both of us are using: VS2012,same platform target(build properties-Any CPU)

    Thanks.

    Nemanja


    Nemnaja Sovic

    Friday, April 1, 2016 11:01 PM

Answers

  • OK, here is the solution: the oracle.datacess.dll version was higher on the boxes where solution built broke the web service. However, compiling against the previsous dll solved the issue. So, removing/adding reference to point to lower version of dll(after importing this file on the local) was the solution. Nonetheless, I am not to happy about this and it would be nice if someone could suggest a proper way in which issues like these are handled within the Software Engineering paradigm....and of course, is there a way to avoid this in the future when writing .net against Oracle DBs?

    Thanks.


    Nemnaja Sovic

    Monday, April 4, 2016 11:00 PM
  • https://www.nuget.org/

    https://visualstudiogallery.msdn.microsoft.com/27077b70-9dad-4c64-adcf-c7cf6bc9970c

    I don't know how to use it, but I know it is being used in our development and deployment process. A new DLL has been implemented in the solution, then you see the Package Manager stepping in  to bring the DLL to the Bin folder as the solution is being compiled. 

    It's not fool-proof, and as an example sometimes, PM brought a new version of Oracle DLL that it should not have deployed to a developer's machine for the solution, which one has to be aware that it happened.

    • Marked as answer by Nemanja011 Tuesday, April 5, 2016 12:45 AM
    Monday, April 4, 2016 11:24 PM

All replies

  • You may not have the same logged-in user rights on your machine as the other developer has on his machine.

    Sunday, April 3, 2016 6:31 PM
  • Hi Nemanja011,

    According to you description, I'm not sure what cause the issue, could you please provide a bit more information (such as detailed error message).

    Best regards.

    Monday, April 4, 2016 1:55 AM
  • I have made two attempts to debug this:

    1. I attached the debugger to the IIS process, which gave me Oracle to C# mapping exception- number to int64, when i tried to fix this with convert it just moved on to the next line of code and produced the similar error.

    2. I attempted looking at SP logs which produced some vague exception about Oracle.DataAcess.dll.

    Keep in mind that code for this web service builds and deploys perfectly on my colleagues machine.

    Thanks,

    Nemanja


    Nemnaja Sovic

    Monday, April 4, 2016 4:13 AM
  • I am suspecting that it might be oracle.dataacess.dll that is causing this issues. Has anybody had problems like this when getting oracle data provider.

    Nemanja


    Nemnaja Sovic

    Monday, April 4, 2016 6:34 PM
  • I am suspecting that it might be oracle.dataacess.dll that is causing this issues. Has anybody had problems like this when getting oracle data provider.

    Nemanja


    Nemnaja Sovic


    You don't have a build and deployment issue. On the other developer's machine,  the solution works. You run the solution on your machine and it blows up. The two machines are not configured the same.
    Monday, April 4, 2016 10:08 PM
  • OK, here is the solution: the oracle.datacess.dll version was higher on the boxes where solution built broke the web service. However, compiling against the previsous dll solved the issue. So, removing/adding reference to point to lower version of dll(after importing this file on the local) was the solution. Nonetheless, I am not to happy about this and it would be nice if someone could suggest a proper way in which issues like these are handled within the Software Engineering paradigm....and of course, is there a way to avoid this in the future when writing .net against Oracle DBs?

    Thanks.


    Nemnaja Sovic

    Monday, April 4, 2016 11:00 PM
  • https://www.nuget.org/

    https://visualstudiogallery.msdn.microsoft.com/27077b70-9dad-4c64-adcf-c7cf6bc9970c

    I don't know how to use it, but I know it is being used in our development and deployment process. A new DLL has been implemented in the solution, then you see the Package Manager stepping in  to bring the DLL to the Bin folder as the solution is being compiled. 

    It's not fool-proof, and as an example sometimes, PM brought a new version of Oracle DLL that it should not have deployed to a developer's machine for the solution, which one has to be aware that it happened.

    • Marked as answer by Nemanja011 Tuesday, April 5, 2016 12:45 AM
    Monday, April 4, 2016 11:24 PM