none
How to Extend Kinect v2.0 (Kinect for Xbox One) RRS feed

• General discussion

• Right now the Kinect v2 Sensor from Microsoft provides users two major applications:

1. Use with Xbox One Console for game, voice & gesture and facial recognition.
    2. Use Kinect for Windows SDK 2.0 to provide developers opportunities to create interactive applications that respond to gesture, voice, and movement on Windows OS platform.

One of the common questions that many Xbox One users and Kinect v2 developers frequently ask is that how to extend the connecting distance for Kinect v2 Sensor.

The current solution that people do is to use USB 3.0 A to B Extension Cable with the Kinect Adapter for Windows.

By theory, since the upstream port on Kinect Adapter for Windows is a USB 3.0 Type-B port, any existing USB 3.0 Type-A to Type-B configuration connection from Xbox One to the adapter should make the system properly functional. 

However, it is not so easy in reality. The original USB 3.0 A to B cable comes with the Windows Adapter for Kinect v2 is 7 ft. (2.16m). And there isn’t any extension cable selling on the market to increase this length. Although there are numbers of USB 3.0 active cable or repeater solutions on the market, only very few of them are truly compatible with Kinect v2 system. As the new generation Kinect v2 adopts the USB 3.0 interface as the data transfer interface, Kinect v2 uses isochronous USB data transfer in addition to the bulk transfer protocol, which requires a more tightened constraint of the data packet transfer time delay from the sensor to the console. When the connection range increases, this delay will become the barrier that limits the extension distance.

Other than that, another factor is that Kinect v2 reserves an extremely high bandwidth in the USB bus line, which also causes an enormous challenge to the long range connection. Because only USB 3.0 cable can ensure the full bandwidth USB 3.0 signal delivery (5Gbps) with a decently reliable signal integrity.

Newnex is a company that has been in long-range connectivity technology industry for over 20 years. Our products are mainly used in industrial application field such as machine vision, aerospace, medical imaging, etc. Newnex’s USB 3.0 product line provides Xbox one and Kinect v2 users the most satisfactory extension solutions:

1. Passive USB 3.0 A to B Cable (3 - 5 Meters)
    2. FireNEX-uLINK A to B Active Repeater Cable (8 - 16 Meters)
    3. FireNEX Kinect Fiber Extension Solution (20 - 300 Meters)

[ Demo Video for Configuration Setup Detail ]

Monday, June 8, 2015 4:51 PM

All replies

• Hey Newnex, 

I wonder if your cables work with Kinect V2 XBOX with windows adapter, since Kinect V2 for Windows went out of production.

Have you tested with both kinect 2.0 versions? 

I know they are the same but we are having trouble finding kinect 2.0 for windows to sell in our country.

And we actually extended for 10m a kinect for windows with a ordinary active usb 3.0 extender, but couldnt with kinect 2.0 xbox with windows adapter, i know they are supposed to be eletronically the same, but...

Thank you

Monday, June 8, 2015 8:02 PM
  • Yes, like you said, there is no more kinect 2.0 for windows on the market anymore.

So what I mean by Kinect for windows v2 is referring the Kinect v2 + windows adapter, which is the only scheme that available on the market right now.

And yes, we have tested all the listed product with kinect v2 + windows adapter.  You should be confident to use any of them.

Tuesday, June 9, 2015 7:19 AM
  • Hello, can all of the extension cables for this set-up be run in-wall? (kinect windows adapter, usb 3.0 active repeater)  I have a projector theater set-up, and would like to run the extension approximately 30 ft inside the wall to the xbox one at the rear of my theater.
    Tuesday, November 3, 2015 3:14 PM
  • I don't think it's a problem.
    Friday, November 6, 2015 12:51 AM
  • Newnex forgot to mention that Kinect v2 can be extended even further by using a USB 3.1 card. Newnex only tested Asrock's, as far as I know.
    Thursday, November 12, 2015 9:10 AM
  • We have tested this setup on many PC platform including numbers of USB 3.1/3.0 PCIe host controller card. We didn't find the the controller card could make the extension longer than the intel on board port. Yet, user should be aware that some controller card is not compatible with Kinect, please make sure before you buy.
    Monday, November 23, 2015 5:03 PM
  • Hi, how can I get the 40 foot cable to Canada? I've searched and no one ships to Canada.
    Friday, January 1, 2016 3:49 PM
  • Check our NA distributor, ntcdistributing.com
    Friday, January 15, 2016 12:53 AM
  • Unfortunately, this method still doesn't solve the issue of not being utilize the IR functions with Xbox One with an extension cable. I wish it did. I was really hoping it would. I've purchased a separate IR blaster to fix that outstanding issue.
    Friday, January 29, 2016 6:32 PM
  • I tried the active repeater solution, works well for me. 
    Tuesday, July 12, 2016 9:19 PM
  • I just bought one of the cables and it works well. Only thing that doesn't work is the Kinect settings tool - it requires the Kinect is in the dedicated port.
    Saturday, July 23, 2016 10:40 PM
  • Did you try to use a short A to B cable instead of the active cable?

If it still not doesn't work for the setting tool, I think maybe Microsoft disable that feature in the Kinect Adapter.

Then you should try our FireNEX-5000HK fiber extension solution, which doesn't need the Kinect Adapter any more.

Friday, August 12, 2016 7:53 PM
  • At some point the adapter stopped fully functioning with the xbox one.

I talked to Microsoft support last night and found out that the adapter only fully works with the xbox one s now.

Wednesday, January 18, 2017 5:47 PM