none
Confused by .NET Update RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

My team is working for customers to do monthly patching for their Windows machines, when we look at .NET Framework Security Update, I am a bit confused.

Let's say KB4033997, it's Preview Quality Rollup for the .NET Framework 3.5, so we need to wait for Security and Quality Rollups, which is KB 4035038, but this KB suggests to install another KB, KB 4039114.

KB4033989 ; KB4014505 ; 4024847 ; 4014598; 4033996, when you search in Microsoft Catalog with those KB IDs, you find nothing.

I am trying to figure out what KB Number will be the ultimate KB number with download link, any mappings? Idea is to have the required KB number (which should be patched monthly on all servers), standard download link, Title, Issued, Affected OS and Products and Severity. 

I googled, for Windows, every month, Microsoft will have three Rollup KBs: Security Only, Monthly Rollup and Preview, and they are cumulative, (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4009471), as per https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/askpfeplat/2016/08/30/a-bit-about-the-windows-servicing-model/, it looks like Monthly Rollup is the *richest* KB that should be installed, how about .NET products? I am a bit confused after reading that blog.

Thanks! 

KeJiaLi

Saturday, September 16, 2017 9:10 PM

Answers

• Hi KeJia,

Thank you for posting in MSDN forum.

>>I am trying to figure out what KB Number will be the ultimate KB number with download link

Actually there is not ultimate KB for .Net framework download link, each latest KB is a highly compatible, in-place update to the preview version.

>>KB4033989 ; KB4014505 ; 4024847 ; 4014598; 4033996, when you search in Microsoft Catalog with those KB IDs, you find nothing.

As newer and newer updates are released, some old KB articles  lose efficacy and no longer available on the website.

Please refer to:  .NET Framework May 2017 Security and Quality Rollup . it offers security and Quality Rollup and Security Only Update for the .NET Framework.

If you work for customers to do monthly patching for their Windows machines, you could suggest them to install the latest windows patches to narrow down potential problems.

Best Regards,

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by KeJiaLi Thursday, September 21, 2017 9:26 AM
    Monday, September 18, 2017 10:04 AM
  • Hi KeJia,

Security, Quality and Reliability patches would be ok.

Best Regards,

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, September 21, 2017 8:48 AM

All replies

• Hi KeJia,

Thank you for posting in MSDN forum.

>>I am trying to figure out what KB Number will be the ultimate KB number with download link

Actually there is not ultimate KB for .Net framework download link, each latest KB is a highly compatible, in-place update to the preview version.

>>KB4033989 ; KB4014505 ; 4024847 ; 4014598; 4033996, when you search in Microsoft Catalog with those KB IDs, you find nothing.

As newer and newer updates are released, some old KB articles  lose efficacy and no longer available on the website.

Please refer to:  .NET Framework May 2017 Security and Quality Rollup . it offers security and Quality Rollup and Security Only Update for the .NET Framework.

If you work for customers to do monthly patching for their Windows machines, you could suggest them to install the latest windows patches to narrow down potential problems.

Best Regards,

MSDN Community Support

Monday, September 18, 2017 10:04 AM
  • Thanks for your reply.

E.g. Sep 2017 Security and Quality Rollup, https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/dotnet/2017/09/12/net-framework-september-2017-security-and-quality-rollup/#, customers ought to install Security, Quality and Reliability patches? There is no supersede relationship? 

Thanks! 

KeJiaLi

Monday, September 18, 2017 9:05 PM
  • Hi KeJia,

Sorry for my delay reply.

>>There is no supersede relationship? 

Yes, we usually recommend customer to install the latest KB, at the same time, they could also keep the old one on there machine.

Best Regards,

MSDN Community Support

Wednesday, September 20, 2017 10:04 AM
  • Hello,

I am still a bit confused, Preview, Security, Quality and Reliability patches, which one customer needs to install monthly?

Thanks! 

KeJiaLi

Wednesday, September 20, 2017 10:40 AM
  • Hi KeJia,

Security, Quality and Reliability patches would be ok.

Best Regards,

MSDN Community Support

Thursday, September 21, 2017 8:48 AM