Expression Web with Front Page Extensions RRS feed

• Question

• I am a high school coach that knows nothing about web page design.  I started my team site on Frontpage, way back in the day, then changed to Expression Web 5-6 years ago.  I have liked the simplicity of opening up my site -- cutting and pasting and excel stat sheet into the site -- updating it daily for players to see.  

I'm using GoDaddy to host.  

When I logged in this month to update my site, I got an error like:

(I update is through <g class="gr_ gr_442 gr-alert gr_spell gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling ins-del multiReplace" data-gr-id="442" id="442">http</g>:)

Unable to open site.  Possible causes:

1) the web server may be temporarily out of service

etc. etc.

I assume it is because of my front page extensions.

My site is supposed to look like this:

http://greatoakgolf.com/2017.htm

But, when I update it, (I have only updated my "Schedule" link) it looks like this.  (I lose my menu bar.)

http://greatoakgolf.com/Schedule.htm

Does anyone out there know if anything has changed the last six months with either GoDaddy or Expression Web?

Thanks so much for the help!

Sunday, October 1, 2017 7:53 PM

All replies

• Front Page Extensions is old and not supported anymore. You probably know that. I think the current equivalent is Web Deploy. I think it only works from Visual Studio. Unfortunately GoDaddy does not support Web Deploy for shared accounts; at least I have been unable to get it to work except it works once for a website then stops working for it.

I assume you are using Expression Web 4. You do not specify how you are uploading pages from Expression Web. I think the only choice is FTP. If you are using FTP then there should not be a problem uploading.

You can use GoDaddy to look at the pages that are in the site. Go to "Manage" from your website hosting and in "Websites & Domains" click on ""File Manager".

In your 2017 page I see items that begin with MSFP, such as MSFPhover. I assume that is from Front Page Extensions. Probably that is a problem. I don't know if there is an easy solution. You probably need to spend time modifying the site to remove the use of Front Page Extensions stuff. I know that is much easier to say than to do.

Sam Hobbs
    SimpleSamples.Info

Sunday, October 1, 2017 8:30 PM
  • Much of your post is not clear.  Your posted error ("(I update is through <g class="gr_ gr_442 gr-alert gr_spell gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling ins-del multiReplace" data-gr-id="442" id="442">http</g>:)") doesn't mean anything, and you never explain how you publish your site.

Expression Web has not changed in a few years. Ask GoDaddy if they have changed anything.  If you were using FrontPage Server Extensions: Don't:  They haven't been supported for many years.

But if you were using FrontPage Server Extensions and GoDaddy still supports them, ask them to repair them, or ask how you can do it yourself.  If they've dropped support for FPSEs, or moved you to a new server that doesn't have them, you are out of luck.  In any event, find out what, in your site, depends on FPSEs and change your site to not rely on them. Very few hosts still support them, and the day will come when yours won't, if that day hasn't already come.  You should be editing your site on a local copy on your PC, previewing in several browsers to verify your changes, then publishing the changes up to GoDaddy using FTP.   That's the standard way of doing things.

Kathleen Wilber
    BrightWillow - Asp.Net Applications

• Edited by KathyW2 Sunday, October 1, 2017 10:28 PM
    Sunday, October 1, 2017 10:26 PM
  • Thanks for the quick replies.  Your answers were both along the lines of what I thought the problem was -- which comes down to the need to remove everything FrontPage related that I do.  I think the only thing on my site that uses FrontPage is the horizontal menu bar at the top.  I guess I need to create a new menu with Expression Web.  It doesn't seem very user friendly for a non-techie like myself.  Any advice or links to sites that could help me create a new menu on my site?
    Monday, October 2, 2017 2:23 AM
  • There are many sites on the web that can tell you how to make a menu. Just google "website design horizontal menu CSS".  Unlike the FrontPage menus, they should simply be styled links, not images and JavaScript.  This markup goes in the page just like your other html and text for your pages. If you are willing to learn about DWTs, you could automate the propagation of changes (adding new years, for example) by putting the menu in a DWT, and create the pages from the DWT.  If you do that, when you make a change in the DWT, EW will make that same change in all the pages associated with that DWT. You'd then publish all the changed pages.  If you don't use a DWT (or other method of design side or server side include), you'll have to make any future changes to the menu on each individual page,

Kathleen Wilber
    BrightWillow - Asp.Net Applications

• Edited by KathyW2 Monday, October 2, 2017 5:16 AM
    Monday, October 2, 2017 4:00 AM
  • You can use Expression Web as the editor but don't expect to use it to provide the content the way you did with Front Page. For one thing I think that Front Page does not do that.

Most members using the MSDN forums are developers that use Visual Studio. You might get better help in another forum but I am not sure what. Many of us around here would use ASP.Net to create menus.

As Kathleen says, you will probably want menus that use a combination of JavaScript and CSS or at least CSS. I did do a lot of searching and I had difficulty finding samples that I like but I forget the criteria I was using. My personal web site is Sam Hobbs's Web Site and the menu I have there uses CSS but I believe no JavaScript. I agree that there are many relevant suggestions and samples and I hope you can find something you can use.

I suppose that when you developed your website CMSs were not as popular as they are now. WordPress is the most popular CMS but there are many other available. You should consider converting to a CMS.

Sam Hobbs
    SimpleSamples.Info

Monday, October 2, 2017 6:40 AM