none
Is it VB popular in USA RRS feed

All replies

• why

Why?

Thursday, July 12, 2018 10:20 AM
  • A better way to look at VB.NET is, is it relevant to a business or to customers. What I mean is, if you are looking for a job in a company are there companies hiring to work with VB.NET in your area? Or if you are coding for yourself then you are the relevant party.

Overall JavaScript is high on the list, C# is not far behind, VB.NET is way down the list. Even so I would ignore this and go back to "why is it important", a job or personal coding?

Right now and many years to come Microsoft will support VB.NET and is a great language to work with although if I were entering the market place for a job today it would be with C# for desktop programming and with web, C#, JavaScript, CSS and similar languages.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem. Contact via my Twitter (Karen Payne) or Facebook (Karen Payne) via my MSDN profile but will not answer coding question on either.
    VB Forums - moderator
    profile for Karen Payne on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites

Thursday, July 12, 2018 10:24 AM
  • Being in the job market, I see regular requests for VB.Net developers, or just .Net developer (VB/C#). 

https://www.monster.com/jobs/search/?q=vb.net&jobid=197956505

https://www.indeed.com/jobs?q=vb.net&l=

Choose the initial language based on your comfort and/or background.  You can always pick up the other one later.

Reed Kimble - "When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all"

Thursday, July 12, 2018 11:53 AM
  • Some find it popular, and others do not. One thing I will say is if you take the time to learn Visual Basic really well, then later you will be able to take what you know and look for translations for similar techniques in other languages, and it won't be long before you can learn any programming language. I personally first refined my skills using Visual Basic, and have found it to be very easy to get a grasp on new languages as needed.

From Visual Basic I have learned enough to be able to translate my knowledge(with some study) over to C#, C++, Java, Javascript, and PHP

Hire Me For This Job!
    Don't forget to vote for Helpful Posts and Mark Answers!
    *This post does not reflect the opinion of Microsoft, or its employees.

Saturday, July 14, 2018 7:10 PM