Get Latest version doesn't get latest version RRS feed

• Question

•  

If I delete all of the source files files for a project on my local disk, and then select get latest version in Source Control Explorer, it insists that all files are up to date.  Even if I restart Visual Studio.

What makes Get Latest Version think that I have the latest?  More importantly, can I trust Get Latest?

I know that there is a "force" option on the get specific dialog.  But if I use that (even to get the latest), then I get errors when I try to merge branches.

Thursday, January 10, 2008 8:23 PM

Answers

• Get Latest is computed entirely on the server.  (The server keeps track of what files it has sent to you.)  You can trust Get as long as you haven't made changes outside of TFS.

If your work requires you to make changes outside of TFS, you'll probably want to use some of our power tools (Online, Folder Diff, TreeClean) to get things back in sync.
    Thursday, January 10, 2008 8:45 PM

All replies

• Get Latest is computed entirely on the server.  (The server keeps track of what files it has sent to you.)  You can trust Get as long as you haven't made changes outside of TFS.

If your work requires you to make changes outside of TFS, you'll probably want to use some of our power tools (Online, Folder Diff, TreeClean) to get things back in sync.
    Thursday, January 10, 2008 8:45 PM
  • Hello,

in TFS server tracks your local files and their version. If you delete them manually and server version has not changed, the file will not be re-downloaded. This topic has been discussed for hundred times, please look at Ed's blog post :http://blogs.msdn.com/edhintz/archive/2005/10/11/479624.aspx

I may use /force on get to work around this. Can you describe what errors you get during merge?

Thursday, January 10, 2008 9:06 PM
  •  

The merge problem turns out to be my own fault (user error).  I can't remember the precise wording of the error message in the output window when I tried to merge, but it was to the effect of:  Due to an operation that I had performed, the files could not be merged.  I had assumed that the operation that the message referred to was the "get specific version" operation.  It turns out that it was my fault -- I had been attempting a merge that wasn't working, and I had forgotten to Undo Changes before I performed the get specific verison and the subsequent merge (so there was a pending merge operation open).

Thursday, January 10, 2008 9:22 PM
  •  

I've also had problems with "Get latest version (recursive)". I had a particular file that wasn't modified outside of TFS, and it still appeared as checked in. When I looked at the "View history" and compared the workspace version to the latest one in the history, they differed however. So I had to choose "Get specific version", choose "Latest version" and check "Force get file...". This has happened many times in our project and is kind of worrying.

Does anyone know what we might have done wrong?

Cheers,

Peter

Wednesday, January 23, 2008 4:07 PM