none
Unable to register new server in SQL 2008

General discussion

• While installing SQL server 2008, I did not get the option "Installation type" to register the Instance and Server. After installing it, I tried to register a new server from Views> Registered Servers>Local Server Group>registering a new server then I am unable to register it as it is saying

TITLE: New Server Registration
    ------------------------------

Testing the registered server failed. Verify the server name, login credentials, and database, and then click Test again.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance Specified) (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: -1)

For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?ProdName=Microsoft+SQL+Server&EvtSrc=MSSQLServer&EvtID=-1&LinkId=20476

BUTTONS:

OK

I really need help to register a new server so that I can proceed.

Saturday, April 15, 2017 2:19 PM

All replies

• Please verify you have correct version (X64/X84)?

http://uk.linkedin.com/in/ramjaddu

Saturday, April 15, 2017 2:33 PM
  • Check that the server is running and if it is an instance that the browser service is running.
    Saturday, April 15, 2017 2:33 PM
  • It's unclear why you expect this to work. That is, there are are a multitude of reasons why you can get this error, and this includes fat fingers on the keyboard. The correct reaction is to conduct proper troubleshooting. Is the server/instance running? Any firewalls in the way? Everything correctly spelled etc.

To this I like to add, what may seem a like silly thing to point out, but I do it nevertheless: did you actually install the instance you are trying to register? Registrating an instance only means that you catalogue it locally on your workstation. It does not install an instance.

Saturday, April 15, 2017 2:53 PM