How to spawn Team Explorer RRS feed

• Question

• Is it possible to launch Team Explorer client from a web page? Something like URL to link from Team Project Portal. Preferably pointing directly to the related project.

obs.: I've tried to do that using a script with shell command, but my users have VS2003 installed in their machines too, and in some cases it gets launched instead of VS2005 (when running DevEnv.exe).

Thanks,
    Max
    Thursday, November 24, 2005 4:09 PM

Answers

• You could tweak "Content Type" to something IE does not understand, like "application/devenv" and it will open the file in devenv after the usual warning.  Nearly all of the VS registered content types are text/plain or application/xml, so they all open as text or xml in IE.

thanks,

tony

Wednesday, November 30, 2005 3:11 PM

All replies

• I am not aware of a way to Launch Team Explore client from a web page, however, you may try to add a link to a WIQ (Work Item Query) file that users can click. If users have VS 2005 installed with TFClient, it should run the query in VS and they can go from there.

Thanks,
    Mohammad
    Monday, November 28, 2005 9:58 PM
  • Tuesday, November 29, 2005 8:08 PM
  • Mohammad,

It works if my VS IDE is already open, but when it is closed, I got a MsgBox "Access is Denied" when I try click on a WIQ file in explorer. When opening a link to it from IE, as it is XML, IE opens its content directly on its own window.

Dmitry,

Here, with Beta 3 Refresh, this URLs opens the workitems inside IE (and shows a HTML view of them). No effect over VS. Should it work differently?

Thanks,
    Max Andrade

Wednesday, November 30, 2005 11:05 AM
  • Max,

There is a bug with the .wiq file registration that has been fixed for RTM  I will dig up the correct registry entries and post them here.

thanks,

tony

Wednesday, November 30, 2005 1:32 PM
  • The correct .wiq registry entries are as follows and will need to be modified if you have installed to something other than c:\Program Files.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.wiq]
    @="VisualStudio.wiq.8.0"
    "Content Type"="application/xml"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.wiq\OpenWithList]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.wiq\OpenWithList\devenv.exe]
    @=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.wiq\OpenWithProgids]
    "VisualStudio.wiq.8.0"=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.wiq\OpenWithProgids\Shared]
    @="Shared key to keep this from being removed with install/uninstall of side-by-side components."

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\VisualStudio.wiq.8.0]
    @="Work Item Query"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\VisualStudio.wiq.8.0\DefaultIcon]
    @="C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\\Common7\\IDE\\PrivateAssemblies\\1033\\Microsoft.VisualStudio.TeamFoundation.WorkItemTrackingUI.dll,0"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\VisualStudio.wiq.8.0\shell]
    @=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\VisualStudio.wiq.8.0\shell\Open]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\VisualStudio.wiq.8.0\shell\Open\command]
    @="\"C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\\Common7\\IDE\\devenv.exe\" /dde"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\VisualStudio.wiq.8.0\shell\Open\ddeexec]
    @="Open(\"%1\")"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\VisualStudio.wiq.8.0\shell\Open\ddeexec\Application]
    @="VisualStudio.8.0"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\VisualStudio.wiq.8.0\shell\Open\ddeexec\Topic]
    @="system"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\VisualStudio\8.0\ShellFileAssociations\.wiq]
    @="VisualStudio.wiq.8.0"

Wednesday, November 30, 2005 2:03 PM
  • Oh yeah, now it is working when I double click it from windows explorer!

But it still being opened as regular XML content (directly in the IE window) when it is accessed through a HTML link in my page :(

Regards,
    Max Andrade

Wednesday, November 30, 2005 2:24 PM
  • You could tweak "Content Type" to something IE does not understand, like "application/devenv" and it will open the file in devenv after the usual warning.  Nearly all of the VS registered content types are text/plain or application/xml, so they all open as text or xml in IE.

thanks,

tony

Wednesday, November 30, 2005 3:11 PM