none
Opening data sources causes VS 2015 to crash

Question

• I am following the Microsoft tutorial on adding LINQ to SQL Classes.

As below :-

To create an object data source based on LINQ to SQL entity classes

1. On the Build menu, click Build Solution to build your project.

2. On the Data menu, click Show Data Sources.

3. In the Data Sources window, click Add New Data Source.

4. Click Object on the Choose a Data Source Type page and then click Next.

5. Expand the nodes and locate and select your class.

6. Click Finish to create the data source and add the Customer entity class to the Data Sources window

7. Drag items from the Data Sources window onto a form.

It works up to Point 7 then when i choose the form and then click on Data Sources Visual Studio 15 crashes. I have tried re starting and re writing the databases up to this point 5 times and still it crashes every time i click on Data Sources...

Any Previous occurrences or suggestions please?

thank you

• Edited by Lynxbci Monday, February 01, 2016 3:36 PM
    Monday, February 01, 2016 3:35 PM

All replies

• Hi lynxbci,

Thanks for your post.

I just did a test in my side using VS2015 Community Updage1 and VS2015 Enterprise update1. And I can drag items from my data source onto the form successfully.

Make sure your database is connected.

First I suggest you could restart your machine or close other third party program and restart your Visual Studio then try it again.

Also Please run your Visual Studio in Safe mode to Check whether some add-ins and extensions affect it (devenv /safemode).

By the way, please disable the anti-virus software and firewall then try it again.

If above suggestions still no help.  I think there might be something wrong with your VS2015. Please repair your VS2015 or install the VS2015 Update1 then try it again.

Hope that could be helpful to you.

Best Regards,

Lake Xiao

Tuesday, February 02, 2016 3:24 AM
  • Hi

I repaired, re booted and installed on a separate PC, both of them crash whenever i try to look at Data Sources. I have tried it in VS2013 and it works ok.

No useful info on the crash just sits for about 2 minutes then restarts VS2015

I have followed the tutorials from creating the database and the tables and then adding the LINQ exactly as per thew Microsoft pages.

This is really frustrating now, an d i will have to go back to a working version of VS, 2013 it seems

Such a shame

Tuesday, February 02, 2016 11:38 AM
  • Hi Lynxbci,

Since it works well in VS2013. But crash in VS2015 in same machine with same steps.

And in my side. VS2015 works well. So I think the cause is probably in your VS2015 installation.

I suggest you could use the collect.exe  tool to collect the installation logs. After using it, you will find vslogs.cab from %temp% folder.

Then  upload the file to https://onedrive.live.com/    and share the link here.

I will help you to check the installation log to see whether exist some error during installing.

By the way, please install the VS2015 Update1, the latest update of VS2015.

Best Regards,

Lake Xiao

Wednesday, February 03, 2016 1:53 AM
  • Thank you, i have since solved with a re install and update

Wednesday, February 03, 2016 5:24 PM
  • Hi Lynxbci,

Glad to hear you have had your issue resolved. And thanks for sharing your result here.

If possible, please mark the reply as the answer which is helpful, so it would be helpful for other members who get the same issue as yours to research and find the answer directly, and I could close this case.

Have a nice day.

Best Regards,

Lake Xiao

Thursday, February 04, 2016 1:22 AM