LAN CHAT APPLICATION HELP

Question

• good day to all.

Am new to the world of networking on LAN, i need help to get me in the right direction in creating a LAN Chat that has the capability to send file across the network. i want this chat to be able to handle more than 50 connections. Any tutorials or sample code will do. thanks...

Thursday, November 08, 2012 11:06 AM

All replies

• Hi,

can you give more details e.g. which language do you want to use?

CodeProject (www.codeproject.com) has a lot of articles that also cover the chat thing.

You have to make some design decisions first. If you just want to use it on a single lan, then you might want to create a chat application that does not need any server. Then clients could broadcast form time to time so they see each other and then they send simple messages to each other (e.g. through udp).

A Client/Server solution is also possible which has the advantage that no broadcast is required and the connection can go past switches and routers.

Sending a file is quite straight forward in my eyes. That could be done though a direct connection and you could use special chat messages to announce that. An example on such a solution could be found inside IRC - There you find DCC - Direct Client Connections - which are used e.g. for file transfers.

In general, you could have a closer look at IRC - there are a RFC documents explaining the basics and it covers a big range of possibilities (e.g. multiple servers connected to each other). There are also a lot of open source implementations of IRC servers and IRC Clients that you could check (But they might be quite complex!)

I hope this helped a little bit.

With kind regards,

Konrad

Thursday, November 08, 2012 11:56 AM
  • thanks for your reply. Am using VB2010 and i have got a design too. I need the chat to run on a single LAN and share files. I want it to have the capability where the users can chat privately, and also send files to each other using IP Address. Am thinking of a Server/Client stuff but don't know if its the best cause am new in this area. Your help highly appreciated
    Thursday, November 08, 2012 12:24 PM
  • hi,

Nice hack and innovation

via

net send

for LAN 

http://oreilly.com/pub/h/3110  

http://www.oreillynet.com//cs/user/view/cs_msg/95700 

open notepad type this

@ echo off :A Cls echo MESSENGER set /p n=User: set /p m=Message: net send %n% %m% Pause Goto A  now click on file
     click on save as
     and then give it the name messenger.bat
     click save

•  goto control panel
      click on administrative tools(switch to classic view)
    • then click on services
      then find messenger service
    • open it
      you'll see startup type which would be disabled
    • so click on that and select manual
      now press the start button and apply
    • now do the same on the remote computer 

regards.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help , or you may vote-up a helpful post

• Proposed as answer by murtazagandhi Friday, December 07, 2012 12:26 PM
    • Edited by murtazagandhi Friday, December 07, 2012 1:10 PM edit
    Friday, December 07, 2012 12:26 PM