Supported audio and video formats in Windows Store apps RRS feed

• Question

• I searched a lot on the internet and I know that this problem has been discussed on several forums, but because I am making a media player and I intend to sell it, I fell the need to ask for a more official answer.

As I understand, this is the list with the audio and video formats available in Windows Store Apps : http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/hh986969.aspx. This are indeed the most used formats for playing audio and video, but I truly fell the lack of support for the .MKV files. So my questions are :

1. Will Microsoft include .MKV in that list ? When ?

2. Can I somehow include the .MKV codec in my app ? (or other codecs, like .flv)

3. If I can't add the MKV codec in my app and Microsoft doesn't intend to add it, is there a way that I can convert the .MKV in , let's say, a .MP4 so that my app can be able to play it ?

I know that I'm not the first that asks this questions, but I didn't find anywhere a good/complete answer or solution to this problem. 

In my opinion .MKV in pretty popular already. Searching for media players in the Windows Store I found one which claims that it supports .MKV (but only if you buy it, so I didn't try it). So is this possible ? How ?

• Edited by ArchTM Friday, December 27, 2013 3:37 AM
    Friday, December 27, 2013 3:35 AM

Answers

• 1. We cannot comment on future features, but your request is noted.

2. Yes, you can write a Media Extension DLL. See the Media extensions sample for example skeleton code. You will need to be familiar with the MKV formats as well as with writing Media Foundation Transforms (MFTs) in C++.

3. Like Sheng suggests, you can upload the file to a server to transcode it. In theory you could transcode it locally within your app, but that wouldn't be any easier than writing an MFT and would be less friendly.

--Rob
    • Marked as answer by ArchTM Friday, December 27, 2013 12:21 PM
    Friday, December 27, 2013 5:51 AM

All replies

• 1 if enough people are willing to pay Microsoft for it. If people like you keep making player apps and make them freely available, then Microsoft is less pressed to act. 

2 the question does not make sense, MKV is not a codec, it is a container format. 

3 Sure you can do it on a server. Upload the file then transcode. Transcoding in a windows store app is theoretically possible but the codecs used in the MKV file may not be compatible with Windows Store apps (most of them are using forbidden Desktop APIs). If your MVK files are only using Windows Media codecs then it may work, but I doubt you would be that lucky.

Visual C++ MVP

Friday, December 27, 2013 4:45 AM
  • 1. We cannot comment on future features, but your request is noted.

2. Yes, you can write a Media Extension DLL. See the Media extensions sample for example skeleton code. You will need to be familiar with the MKV formats as well as with writing Media Foundation Transforms (MFTs) in C++.

3. Like Sheng suggests, you can upload the file to a server to transcode it. In theory you could transcode it locally within your app, but that wouldn't be any easier than writing an MFT and would be less friendly.

--Rob
    • Marked as answer by ArchTM Friday, December 27, 2013 12:21 PM
    Friday, December 27, 2013 5:51 AM