none
Hyper-V RemoteFX 3D Video Adapter on Windows 7 Ultimate with SP1 Guest OS and Remote Desktop Connection Permissions RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Why, when you add the RemoteFX 3D Video Adapter to a Hyper-V virtual machine, do you have to then explicitly add users to the Remote Desktop Users group even though they are already in the Administrators group in order for those users to establish a Remote Desktop Connection?

Kind Regards,

Johan Küstner

Thursday, March 10, 2011 3:49 PM

All replies

• Since I've not received a response for this question, I thought I'd elaborate that this only occurs when the RemoteFX 3D Video Adapter is added to the VM and that the user can log in fine when the video adapter is removed.
    Wednesday, March 30, 2011 8:46 AM
  • You might already have found this by now, but I came across this on technet that I believe describes your scenario:

from: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff817577(WS.10).aspx

ImportantImportant
    After the virtual machine restarts, you will see a black screen on the virtual machine console with the message “Video Remoting was disconnected. The virtual machine is using the 3D video adaptor, which is not supported by the Virtual Machine Connection console.” This is expected, and you will not be able to log on to the virtual machine from the Virtual Machine Connection. You will be able to remotely log on to the virtual machine by using an account that is a part of the Remote Desktop Users group on the virtual machine.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 10:10 PM