Project Overview Tasks and Subtasks RRS feed

• Question

• I am using the Project Overview report and filtering tasks based on Finish Date and a custom "Advertisement" field to indicate that I want the task or sub-task to show up in the report table, and I want ONLY those items with the Advertisement value to show up.  I am not using grouping and have "All Subtasks" selected.

The problem I have is that,

1. If I Check the "Show Hierarchy" box it shows the Tasks and the Sub-tasks, regardless of whether the Advertisement field is set.
    2. If I unCheck the "Show Hierarchy" box it shows ONLY the Sub-tasks that have Advertisement set and NOT the Tasks that have the Advertisement set.

Is there a way to get All Subtasks and All Tasks, or is there another way to solve this?

Kevin

• Edited by Kevin Booth Wednesday, October 7, 2020 5:13 PM
    Wednesday, October 7, 2020 5:10 PM

Answers

• Kevin --

I cannot duplicate the behavior you are describing in my copy of Microsoft Project 2016.  When I apply only the Advertising filter, I see six tasks in the table.  If I select the Show Hierarchy checkbox, I see the relevant summary tasks for the six subtasks.  So, what I am seeing is correct.

Maybe you could include a screenshot of your project, so we can get an idea of the summary tasks and subtasks in your project, and include a screenshot of the Filter Definition dialog so that we can see exactly how you created your custom filter.  With that information, we might be able to suggest a resolution to your problem, or to accurately tell you that the tool is working as expected.  Please let us know.  Thanks!

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Wednesday, October 7, 2020 6:29 PM
  • Kevin,

Yes, unfortunately summary lines are called summary "tasks" but they are not tasks, they are simply a summary of the subtasks indented under them. As such, summary lines should never be linked or have resources assigned, and a few other considerations.

Is the "advertisement" a text message of some type? I assumed it was just a "yes" or "no" type of indicator.

Well, as I stated, you can get the display you want in a normal view (e.g. Gantt Chart) but not in the reports. However, if you are just looking at the table part of the Overview Report, then why not simply use the Gantt Chart view. Again, what are you trying to achieve?

John

Wednesday, October 7, 2020 9:05 PM

All replies

• Kevin Booth,

First of all realize that summary lines are not tasks so I'm having a hard time visualizing why you might have a scenario wherein a summary line has the "advertisement" field set but no subtasks under that summary have it set while also having a different summary line with the "advertisement" field NOT set but with one of more subtasks that have it set, such as this.

The "all subtasks" selection in the report options is treated differently than in a normal view such as the Gantt Chart view. Based on that, it appears you can't get there from here. So the question is, what exactly are you trying to do?

John

Wednesday, October 7, 2020 6:09 PM
  • Kevin --

I cannot duplicate the behavior you are describing in my copy of Microsoft Project 2016.  When I apply only the Advertising filter, I see six tasks in the table.  If I select the Show Hierarchy checkbox, I see the relevant summary tasks for the six subtasks.  So, what I am seeing is correct.

Maybe you could include a screenshot of your project, so we can get an idea of the summary tasks and subtasks in your project, and include a screenshot of the Filter Definition dialog so that we can see exactly how you created your custom filter.  With that information, we might be able to suggest a resolution to your problem, or to accurately tell you that the tool is working as expected.  Please let us know.  Thanks!

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Wednesday, October 7, 2020 6:29 PM
  • Thanks for the reply, I did not realize that the Summary lines were not treated as tasks also.  My situation is that I have...

1. ...a summary line that has MANY subtasks, so I would like to display the summary line and 1 "Advertisment" in the Overview table (so that the overview table doesn't have a lot of minutiae), and
    2. ...individual subtasks that I would like to display with their associated "Advertisement".

Kevin

Wednesday, October 7, 2020 7:57 PM
  • Kevin,

Yes, unfortunately summary lines are called summary "tasks" but they are not tasks, they are simply a summary of the subtasks indented under them. As such, summary lines should never be linked or have resources assigned, and a few other considerations.

Is the "advertisement" a text message of some type? I assumed it was just a "yes" or "no" type of indicator.

Well, as I stated, you can get the display you want in a normal view (e.g. Gantt Chart) but not in the reports. However, if you are just looking at the table part of the Overview Report, then why not simply use the Gantt Chart view. Again, what are you trying to achieve?

John

Wednesday, October 7, 2020 9:05 PM