Set the number of connections available to SQL Azure RRS feed

• Question

• Is there a way to set the number of connections available to a SQL Azure database?

Thanks!

Friday, September 3, 2010 9:05 PM

Answers

• From what I've heard, there's no "official" connection upper limit, but it's more of a "play nice with others" scenario - if you start consuming all of the server's resources, you're throttled. Sounds like a fun exercise to try... :)
    • Marked as answer by stombiztalker Tuesday, September 7, 2010 1:19 PM
    Friday, September 3, 2010 10:21 PM

All replies

• SQL Azure doesn't have a connection limit per se... You should try to pool your connections and close them when not in use (connections time out after, I think, 30 minutes anyway). However, if you start opening a ton of connections, you'll likely be throttled at some point. I can't recall the specific error related to this, but as long as you're reusing / pooling connections, chances are, you won't experience throttling.
    Friday, September 3, 2010 9:27 PM
  • timeout is 15 minutes and you'll actually be throttled if you start consume too many connections (can't remember off-hand the upper limit).

Friday, September 3, 2010 10:00 PM
  • From what I've heard, there's no "official" connection upper limit, but it's more of a "play nice with others" scenario - if you start consuming all of the server's resources, you're throttled. Sounds like a fun exercise to try... :)
    • Marked as answer by stombiztalker Tuesday, September 7, 2010 1:19 PM
    Friday, September 3, 2010 10:21 PM