SDK Extension for Custom Controls created with XAML/C++

Question

• I am trying to create a custom control to be shared with other developers. It is supposed to use my premade WinRt component.

I am confused on this topic. I find the documentation to be somewhat lacking. I am refering to "XAML user and custom controls sample" and "Walkthrough: Creating SDK using C++"

I've came to conclusion that Custom Controls are created in Blank type Windows Store project, then generic.xaml, libraries along with winmd, pri files from winrt component are used in VSIX project. Am I on the right track?

Thursday, August 29, 2013 12:01 PM

All replies

• Yes, you're on the right track. It sounds like you've found the documentation for this. If you need more help with that please provide more details about which parts you aren't finding clear.

--Rob

Thursday, August 29, 2013 3:31 PM
    Owner
  • Rob, thank you for the reply. 

It is not very clear how to create VSIX project folders and where to put deliverables for my specific case.

I once followed a guide written by Tim Heuer on creating VSIX Extensions for c# custom controls. He instructed to put the Generic.xaml file created with the control template to Redist\CommonConfiguration\neutral\Themes\

C++ Template Controls are not created in a separate Themes folder. So I am assuming I am to put generic.xaml into Redist\Release\x86 folder?

P.S. I've found an error in the msdn "Walkthrough: Creating an SDK using C++" documentation page. (can't paste the link since i am new to the forums). In the step #14 of "

To create the NativeMathVSIX extension projectSimpleMath.pri should be NativeMathWRT.pri
    Thursday, August 29, 2013 9:08 PM