Issues in implementing business logic in my user interface. Where can I find good resources (books, links) about design patterns with code samples and implementations in C#? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I’m developing a rich client application using WinForms in Visual C# 2008 Express Edition. This application is somehow complex since it contains several dozens of TapPages, Charts and DataGridView controls in a single main form. I’m trying to implement some business logic which involves several controls (DateTimePicker, DataGridView, CheckBox, ListControl and Charts). I believe that I’m not doing the correct separation between presentation and business logic. In addition, every time that I need to do a simple change in that business logic I need to change the code in several different places. It’s not efficient and it’s not flexible as I would like. I don’t know if I should create a custom control to implement the desired business logic, if I should implement a design pattern or if I should use a combination of both. This is the link to the thread that explain these issues in detail and that was the trigger for creating this new thread in the Architecture forum instead: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winforms/thread/1ee9f9c8-225d-4ae3-934c-036f6aaec980.

I’m quite new to design patterns. In the past I worked in development in the software industry but I have been away from professional development until a few months ago. Based on some advice and on some materials that I read I believe that I will probably need to implement the MVC design pattern to implement the desired business logic in my user interface. I’m currently reading the book “Head First Design Patterns” and I already spent some time checking the Microsoft Patterns & Practices website and in MSDN but I didn’t found examples of implementations of design patterns in C# for rich client applications. Some of the other resources that I have found just explain the design patterns in theory without specific code examples. Also, in most of the cases, the examples are not in C# and/or are very simple.

I would like some advice on what should be my roadmap to improve the efficiency of my code in order to improve my business logic. Should I read another book about design patterns? Which one? Should I try to implement in my application any or all of these: Enterprise Library, Smart Client Software Factory or Smart Client Composite UI Application Block?

Any tips will be more than welcome.

Thanks.

Best,

Miguel.

Thursday, December 10, 2009 8:02 PM

Answers

• oh yeah

applying domain driven design and patterns by nilsson
    microsoft.net architecting applications for the enterpise by esposito

gimme some slamming techno!!!!
    • Marked as answer by Miguel T. _ Wednesday, February 24, 2010 12:31 AM
    Sunday, December 13, 2009 8:46 AM
  • Hi Blair,

I finished reading:

> "Microsoft .NET Architecting Applications for the Enterprise" by Dino Esposito

> "Patterns of Enterprise Application Architecture" by Martin Fowler

> "Head First Design Patterns"

All these 3 books were great and, in special, the first one was very helpful to get an answer to some of my issues related to MVC and MVP patterns.

Thanks for your tips.

Best,
    Miguel.
    Wednesday, February 24, 2010 12:30 AM

All replies

• google

lhotka csla

and get his book expert business objects 

Sunday, December 13, 2009 8:40 AM
  • oh yeah

applying domain driven design and patterns by nilsson
    microsoft.net architecting applications for the enterpise by esposito

Sunday, December 13, 2009 8:46 AM
  • Hi Blair,

Thanks for your feedback.

Best,
    Miguel.
    Monday, December 14, 2009 2:09 AM
  • Hi Blair,

I finished reading:

> "Microsoft .NET Architecting Applications for the Enterprise" by Dino Esposito

> "Patterns of Enterprise Application Architecture" by Martin Fowler

> "Head First Design Patterns"

All these 3 books were great and, in special, the first one was very helpful to get an answer to some of my issues related to MVC and MVP patterns.

Thanks for your tips.

Best,
    Miguel.
    Wednesday, February 24, 2010 12:30 AM
  • I reiterate "applying domain driven design and patterns" by nillsson

its a great supplement to fowler's PoEAA. I takes fowler's (an others) work and distills to practical use.

cheers!

Saturday, April 24, 2010 7:56 AM