MDS -- Data Import RRS feed

• General discussion

• We recently revised the information on how to import data into your MDS model. The end-to-end instructions are in this topic -- "Add, Update and Delete Data (Master Data Services)" . What additional information should we provide to make it easier for you to understand how to import data into models? Would a tutorial be helpful?

Carla Sabotta

Friday, February 19, 2016 10:34 PM

All replies

• Yes! I am trying to publish data from excel 2016 MDS add-in into my SQL database but the rows are not being added. I've tried everything. The stg table is being created with the column names but i can't get the rows to go into the table. 
    Wednesday, February 24, 2016 2:30 AM
  • Hello,

I'm assuming that you're trying to load data specifically to an MDS database.

If you are adding new members (rows) to your worksheet and you cannot successfully publish them to the MDS database, you may not have Update permission to all of the attributes in the worksheet. On the Review tab, in the Changes group, click Unprotect Sheet and try to publish again.

Carla Sabotta

Friday, February 26, 2016 2:44 AM
  • Hmm - thank you for the suggestion but I only have protect options in that group, no unprotect options.  

Edit: Finally figured it out.. i'm an idiot and didn't look in all the obscurely named tables at the top, within the many tables MDS has by default! 

• Edited by DavidSquires Saturday, February 27, 2016 1:32 AM
    Saturday, February 27, 2016 12:39 AM
  • Hi David,

I'm glad to hear that you found your data in the MDS database. I understand that the table naming is not intuitive.

From your experience with data import in MDS, what changes to this feature it make it easier for you to import  data?

Carla

Carla Sabotta

Tuesday, March 1, 2016 9:49 PM
  • to be honest, i haven't used MDS too much yet other than at home. We're waiting for 2016 to start using it at work. Other than the initial roadblock of trying to find my data in tables after importing it, it was very easy to import data. Thanks ! 
    Thursday, May 5, 2016 11:50 PM