use variable for dynamic data selection RRS feed

• Question

• User-628505736 posted

Hello,

I have a problem when I want to use a variable in order to make an MS SQL query in order to retrieve data from a database

<asp:SqlDataSource ID="SqlDataSource1" runat="server" 
                        ConnectionString="<%$ ConnectionStrings:ConnectionString123 %>" 
                        SelectCommand="SELECT [column1], [column2], [column3], [column4], [column5], [column6] FROM [Table1] WHERE ([column1] =<%= variable1%>)">
                    </asp:SqlDataSource>

The problem is that I do not want to use a parameter because I already have the variable behind in C# code. So I want to use something like "<%=variable1 %>" 

to insert the variable into the query. But once I write that inside the query, the whole thing does not work and comes with error messages.

Is there any way to add a variable into that query? Remember I do not want to use parameters i.e.

<SelectParameters>
    <asp:Parameter DefaultValue="1257" Name="column1" Type="String" />
    </SelectParameters>

Friday, April 29, 2011 7:00 AM

Answers

• User761909039 posted

You can do like this,

SelectCommand="SELECT [column1], [column2], [column3], [column4], [column5], [column6] FROM [Table1] WHERE ([column1] ={0})"

and in your page_load

SqlDataSource1.SelectCommand = string.Format(SqlDataSource1.SelectCommand, variable1);

And if the column is varchar, dont forget to add codes ( ' )

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Friday, April 29, 2011 7:58 AM

All replies

• User761909039 posted

You can do like this,

SelectCommand="SELECT [column1], [column2], [column3], [column4], [column5], [column6] FROM [Table1] WHERE ([column1] ={0})"

and in your page_load

SqlDataSource1.SelectCommand = string.Format(SqlDataSource1.SelectCommand, variable1);

And if the column is varchar, dont forget to add codes ( ' )

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Friday, April 29, 2011 7:58 AM
  • User3866881 posted

HI:)

Hi:)

1) Please keep the changed select statement into the ViewState or SessionBag first.

2) In the  Page_Load event, please dynamically change your sql statement sentence——

protected void Page_Load(……)

if(ViewState["select"]!=null)

{

SqlDataSource1.SelectCommand = ViewState["select"].ToString();

}

Saturday, April 30, 2011 8:52 PM