ATL ActiveX in MS Access 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• I have some free time on my hands and am trying to make THE LEAP: using VS 2010 build an activeX control based on the VS2010 Calendar control, then use it as an ActiveX control in MS Access 2010.  I would appreciate any 'pointers' in the right direction, should I be looking at the ATL library?, I have worked through the polygon sample there and have that up and working, but it is not listed in the ActiveX controls in Access.  This could be because it is not properly registered, not sure.. But I remember in previous versions of Access I could 'add an activeX control' by locating the *.dll and adding it. This seems to be missing in the Access 2010 version, or moved to a new location.  If there is a really good walkthrough, sample out there I would greatly appreciate a reference and/or if anyone has knowledge they would like to share, that would be most greatfully appreciated.

In the long run I want to be able to leverage the great controls found in VS into Access Runtime..

Thanks

Ed Warren Raising sails on masts not masts on sails
    Sunday, August 29, 2010 12:45 PM

Answers

• Did you register your demo control using regsvr32.exe?

We have plenty of calendar controls, but we could use a Treeview control that works on 64-bit OS as well.

-Tom. Microsoft Access MVP
    • Marked as answer by Bessie Zhao Friday, September 3, 2010 10:22 AM
    Sunday, August 29, 2010 2:40 PM
  • Hi Edward,

Read up on COM Interop. Unless you specifically build the assembly for COM, it won't be visible. That said, I've found Access 2010 does not show all the ActiveX controls available, and does not allow us to browse for them. I haven't looked into the reasons why; I'm sure it's something simple.

I have some free time on my hands and am trying to make THE LEAP: using VS 2010 build an activeX control based on the VS2010 Calendar control, then use it as an ActiveX control in MS Access 2010.  I would appreciate any 'pointers' in the right direction, should I be looking at the ATL library?, I have worked through the polygon sample there and have that up and working, but it is not listed in the ActiveX controls in Access.  This could be because it is not properly registered, not sure.. But I remember in previous versions of Access I could 'add an activeX control' by locating the *.dll and adding it. This seems to be missing in the Access 2010 version, or moved to a new location.  If there is a really good walkthrough, sample out there I would greatly appreciate a reference and/or if anyone has knowledge they would like to share, that would be most greatfully appreciated.

In the long run I want to be able to leverage the great controls found in VS into Access Runtime..

Thanks

Regards, Graham R Seach Microsoft Access MVP Sydney, Australia
    Sunday, August 29, 2010 10:43 PM

All replies

• Did you register your demo control using regsvr32.exe?

We have plenty of calendar controls, but we could use a Treeview control that works on 64-bit OS as well.

-Tom. Microsoft Access MVP
    Sunday, August 29, 2010 2:40 PM
  • Realize, I'm not all that familar with regsvr32.exe, etc. so no I did not register it, will give that a try.  I'm just a beginner.... x64 treeview... that just might be fun if I got one to work, where would be the 'proper' place to 'publish it'.   Thanks.

Sunday, August 29, 2010 3:42 PM
  • Hi Edward,

Read up on COM Interop. Unless you specifically build the assembly for COM, it won't be visible. That said, I've found Access 2010 does not show all the ActiveX controls available, and does not allow us to browse for them. I haven't looked into the reasons why; I'm sure it's something simple.

I have some free time on my hands and am trying to make THE LEAP: using VS 2010 build an activeX control based on the VS2010 Calendar control, then use it as an ActiveX control in MS Access 2010.  I would appreciate any 'pointers' in the right direction, should I be looking at the ATL library?, I have worked through the polygon sample there and have that up and working, but it is not listed in the ActiveX controls in Access.  This could be because it is not properly registered, not sure.. But I remember in previous versions of Access I could 'add an activeX control' by locating the *.dll and adding it. This seems to be missing in the Access 2010 version, or moved to a new location.  If there is a really good walkthrough, sample out there I would greatly appreciate a reference and/or if anyone has knowledge they would like to share, that would be most greatfully appreciated.

Thanks

Regards, Graham R Seach Microsoft Access MVP Sydney, Australia
    Sunday, August 29, 2010 10:43 PM
  • Ed, this is exactly what I wanted to do too. Will you make it available to the Access comunity?

Actually there should be an open scoure project to bring back the VS 2010 controls into Access.

Micsoft killed more and more controls over the years. So having VS 2010 controls in Access would be awesome.

henry

Friday, October 8, 2010 4:40 PM