none
search form for access RRS feed

• Question

• I am creating a database that contains various employee trainings. I have the trainings categorized by job type. I need to make a search form that will allow a user to type in a job category and then show all of the trainings associated with that job category.

So far I have created job category tables with the specific job titles as items within those tables. For example I have created a table named "Management_jobcategory" and under that table I have the various specific job titles that fall under the category of Management such as; supervisor, division chief, and deputy administrator. 

Also, if you think there is a better way to structure the tables please let me know. ( I am using Access 2016)

• Edited by notanerd420 Thursday, July 27, 2017 12:40 PM
    Thursday, July 27, 2017 12:37 PM

All replies

• I am creating a database that contains various employee trainings. I have the trainings categorized by job type. I need to make a search form that will allow a user to type in a job category and then show all of the trainings associated with that job category.

So far I have created job category tables with the specific job titles as items within those tables. For example I have created a table named "Management_jobcategory" and under that table I have the various specific job titles that fall under the category of Management such as; supervisor, division chief, and deputy administrator. 

Also, if you think there is a better way to structure the tables please let me know.

Wednesday, July 26, 2017 5:23 PM
  • Hi notanerd,

Based on your description, I will help you move this thread to Access forum:

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?forum=accessdev

The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other partners who read the forums regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us. Thank you for your understanding.

Regards,
    Emi Zhang
    TechNet Community Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, July 27, 2017 7:00 AM
  • Training would seem to be associated with an Employee, and not a Job or Category, but perhaps you're trying to setup a table structure where you can indicate which Training is required for specific Job+Category combinations?

If so, then you'd probably need something like this:

tJobType
    ---------------
    JobTypeID
    JobType

tCategory
    ------------------
    CategoryID
    Category

tblTraining
    --------------
    TrainingID
    TrainingName
    TrainingDescription

And now the table that Joins them:

tJob_Category
    ------------------
    JobID
    CategoryID

tblJobCategory_Training
    -----------------------------
    tblJobID
    tblCategoryID
    tblTrainingID

You can add other columns to the table, of course, depending on your needs. But each table should only house attributes that are relevant to the main "entity". For example, in the Job table you would perhaps add a Description, but you would not add an EmployeeName field (since a Job does not "own" an Employee, so to speak).

From there, you can add forms to manage all of the items.

If you want to associate specific Employees with training:

tblEmployee
    -----------------
    EmployeeID
    EmployeeName
    etc

tblEmployee_Training
    ------------------------
    EmployeeID
    TrainingID
    TrainingDate
    etc