Dynamic Data SP1 release or futures release? RRS feed

• Question

• User320031091 posted

I'm starting to use and learn dynamic data and only recently saw the dynamic data futures release. I'm wondering why I shouldn' jump straight to the futures release given it's supposed to be better? Doesn't anyone have experience of this, is there a good reason why I shouldn't use the latest code in the futures release?

Thursday, September 18, 2008 1:42 PM

Answers

• User-330204900 posted

I'm starting to use and learn dynamic data and only recently saw the dynamic data futures release. I'm wondering why I shouldn' jump straight to the futures release given it's supposed to be better? Doesn't anyone have experience of this, is there a good reason why I shouldn't use the latest code in the futures release?

Hi Matt the Futures is just what is says its whats comming, but it sits on top of the current release of DD.

And so DD is what you must use and learn now and Futures shows you whats to come and how to expand on the standard DD framework.

Hope this helps [:D]

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Thursday, September 18, 2008 2:16 PM
  • User660823006 posted

Matt,

I would recommend that anyone should run core 1.0 Dynamic Data. The futures project is basically some extensions and ideas that we are thinking about that can still run on the core 1.0 runtime. Kind of the idea is you work on your site and if you need something from futures you can copy and paste it into your project. Also the source code from futures can give some insights on how to do fairly advanced things with Dynamic Data. Not everything we have in futures will make it into the next release of Dynamic Data either but will still work since we will be backwards compatible. Also nothing in there is officially supported. :-)

Thursday, September 18, 2008 2:41 PM

All replies

• User-1759624489 posted

I am using asp.net dynamic data that was hsipped with sp1, but it lacks of somethings, so I downloaded the futures release and it works perfect for me.

I recommend it 100%, you only need to be aware of when its  updated and check the codeplex site often

THx

Thursday, September 18, 2008 1:55 PM
  • User-330204900 posted

Hi Matt the Futures is just what is says its whats comming, but it sits on top of the current release of DD.

And so DD is what you must use and learn now and Futures shows you whats to come and how to expand on the standard DD framework.

Hope this helps [:D]

Thursday, September 18, 2008 2:16 PM
  • User660823006 posted

Matt,

I would recommend that anyone should run core 1.0 Dynamic Data. The futures project is basically some extensions and ideas that we are thinking about that can still run on the core 1.0 runtime. Kind of the idea is you work on your site and if you need something from futures you can copy and paste it into your project. Also the source code from futures can give some insights on how to do fairly advanced things with Dynamic Data. Not everything we have in futures will make it into the next release of Dynamic Data either but will still work since we will be backwards compatible. Also nothing in there is officially supported. :-)

Thursday, September 18, 2008 2:41 PM