none
VS2010 RC/VS2008 DataSet ConnectionString Access MDB Remembering wrong location RRS feed

• Question

• I set the DataSet Connection String in VS2010 RC to an Access file. The had to move the location of the file. Both the DataSet Connection String Wizard and the Server Explorer 'see' the new location but I cannot view the data because it throws a ConnectionString error siting the old (wrong location).
    The same error occures when try it in VS2008. I can even rename the MDB file and it will not let me open the tables. I can refresh the Server Connection and it seems to be connected, but any atempt to open teh data fails.

Opening a new project and connection to the new location does not work either.

Setting a new MDB as the connection for a new project or the existing project works.

I've serached the registry for the wrong connection string without luck..

Where does VS2008 and VS 2010RC cache the ConnectionStrings settings?

Thnaks
    Pat New Hampshire USA

Where does VS 2010/VS20
    • Moved by YiChun Chen Monday, March 1, 2010 7:01 AM ADO.NET issue (From:Visual Studio Setup and Installation)
    Sunday, February 28, 2010 1:12 PM

Answers

• Hello Pat,

Welcome to ADO.NET DataSet forum!

Based on your description, I think you created typed DataSet on an Access database file.  In such a scenario, all the connection string will be stored in app.config/web.config according to your application type. 

If you are talking about the Visual Studio connection string cache when we select the database in some VS wizard like Data Source Configuration Wizard, these information is stored in VS’s user profile not in registry.  

We can use Process Monitor to check the file access events of VS.  Based on my research, Visual Studio loads the connection string cache from a file named DefaultView.SEView under directory C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\VisualStudio\9.0\ServerExplorer\.   (Windows 7 x64, Visual Studio 2008 SP1). 

We can the cached connection string tag in this file, however, the connection string is encrypted.  So it is not easy to modify the connection string manually.   I would recommend you reset the user data of Visual Studio via “devenv /resetuserdata” command line (Run as admin if UAC is enabled).  The cached connection string will be cleaned up.

If you have any questions, please feel free to let me know.

Have a nice day!

Best Regards,
    Lingzhi Sun

MSDN Subscriber Support in Forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact msdnmg@microsoft.com

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    • Marked as answer by Pat Tormey Thursday, March 4, 2010 12:53 PM
    Tuesday, March 2, 2010 7:51 AM

All replies

• Hi Pat,

I am moving this thread from Base "Visual Studio Setup and Installation" forum to the "ADO.NET DataSet" forum, since the issue is related to ADO.NET. There are more experts in the "ADO.NET DataSet" forum.

Thanks
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Monday, March 1, 2010 7:00 AM
  • Hello Pat,

Welcome to ADO.NET DataSet forum!

Based on your description, I think you created typed DataSet on an Access database file.  In such a scenario, all the connection string will be stored in app.config/web.config according to your application type. 

If you are talking about the Visual Studio connection string cache when we select the database in some VS wizard like Data Source Configuration Wizard, these information is stored in VS’s user profile not in registry.  

We can use Process Monitor to check the file access events of VS.  Based on my research, Visual Studio loads the connection string cache from a file named DefaultView.SEView under directory C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\VisualStudio\9.0\ServerExplorer\.   (Windows 7 x64, Visual Studio 2008 SP1). 

We can the cached connection string tag in this file, however, the connection string is encrypted.  So it is not easy to modify the connection string manually.   I would recommend you reset the user data of Visual Studio via “devenv /resetuserdata” command line (Run as admin if UAC is enabled).  The cached connection string will be cleaned up.

If you have any questions, please feel free to let me know.

Have a nice day!

Best Regards,
    Lingzhi Sun

• Marked as answer by Pat Tormey Thursday, March 4, 2010 12:53 PM
    Tuesday, March 2, 2010 7:51 AM
  • Hi Pat,

I am writing to check the status of the issue on your side.  Would you mind letting us know the result of the suggestions? 

If you need further assistance, please feel free to let me know.   I will be more than happy to be of assistance.

Have a nice day!

Best Regards,
    Lingzhi Sun

Thursday, March 4, 2010 9:16 AM
  • Thank you my friend..
    That was driving me nuts (g)..
    Thursday, March 4, 2010 12:55 PM